Discussion Board

CBA when menu is open

When a menu is open, CBA texts are Select and Cancel. Suppose I want these texts to be X and Y. Is it possible to accomplish such task by either modifying a resource file or / and dynamically ? It is probably may be done by using selection list dialog, but does a simplier way exist ?

Regards,

Valeri

Nokia Developer Moderator
    I don't think it would be good idea to change these text, since then users couldt either select or cancel the current menu.

would just make it harder for users to use your application. Maybe you could think some other way of accoplishing your task, without changing the Series 60 principle bahavioural patterns.

yucca

I used these X and Y texts just as an example, just wanted to avoid the details. The real situation goes like this: I have an application, which is localized for 2 languages English and Finnish. As long as the phone language is English or Finnish, everything goes fine. But then someone chooses Swedish ( or some
    other language, which my app does not support ) as the phone language. Naturally, the app goes into English, but there is a Swedish localization for system resources. This means, that when I select Options, menu items are displayed in English, but CBA under the menu is in Swedish. That's why I asked whether there is a way to "override" these resource and force the app to use either English or Finnish.

Valeri

Nokia Developer Moderator
    basically, the behaviour is exatly correct. the user have specified to use a language when ever it is possible, so any place that the language is supported it should also be used.

I don't think that in your case you should go changing the user preferences, all thou for you it might look odd.

I also don't really know how you could make the system components to use other resource files than what the user have specified.

yucca

If someone is still interested...

1) changes to resource file:

RESOURCE CBA r_example
    {
    buttons =
    {
    CBA_BUTTON
    {
    id = EAknSoftkeyOk; // maybe EAknSoftkeySelect
    txt = "X"; // your text
    },