Discussion Board

Can 7650 emulator connect to LAN vian NT RAS null modem setup?

Greetings:
    Is 7650 emulator capable of connecting to LAN via NT RAS null modem setup? If yes, then how? What are the steps/tools required to achieve this?
    I have (like many others who have done this before and some who have already vented their frustrations) spent quite a few days searching available documents and discussion boards for an answer. But I am yet to come across any authoritative document on this issue. It is very surprising that such important issues aren't dealt with properly in accompanying documentation. The version 0.3 SDK documentation in the topic "How to configure comms settings" has following concluding paragraph:
    "Developers will therefore need to disable the monitoring functionality, and replace the default CommDb with one purpose built to support RAS. Source code, build files, and further information are available for free download from the Symbian Developer Network, from the Networking topic in the C++ Knowledge Base at http://www.symbiandevnet.com."

After many hours of search I did get hold of a documentation realted to this. It says the monitoring stuff could be shutdown using "phone_on_off" tool. I have managed to get the sis file, which packages this tool from Symbian dev net. But the tool wouldn't install on 7650 emulator.. throws "not found" exception. Symbian dev net says I should contact forum Nokia for this as it is Series 60 related problem.
    I have seen many unanswered queries on this board. There are only two scenarios where so many queries related to a single issue could be left unanswered. Either the solution is so trivial that it does not merit a discussion or the the emulator is really incapable of such a set up. Before I should assume that 7650 emulator has done away with a feature, so important for developers and which Symbian provided, I would like to hear from horse's mouth. I beg Nokia guys to come out of slumber and provide a solution to this issue and put an end to frustration of so many developers.
    Thanks and regards,
    Anant Akinchan.

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: Can 7650 emulator connect to LAN vian NT RAS null modem setup?

Hi,

You should be able to set up a RAS connection the same way as with the 9210 emulator. Please see the document "Setup Connection Between Nokia 9210 Emulator & NT RAS Server" and follow the instructions.

Using the t_editdb.exe on series60 emulator is a bit tricky but there is a batch file that will execute t_editdb with correct params, named setupcomms.bat.

Best Regards,
    Ari / Forum Nokia

I have had a nearly identical experience trying to use the 7650 emulator to test networking functionality. After about a week of searching both Noki and Symbian forums/knowledge bases and experimenting on multiple versions of the SDK, I have also been unsuccessful.

Has anyone out there acutally gotten this to work?

Hi

The problem is a broken cdbv2.dat file.

The monitoring problem can be avoided by changing your COM2 port to be COM5 (see: Device Manager|Communications Port Properties|Port Settings|Advanced), for example, or by connecting to another computer.

After some wrestling, I've now got RAS working on Windows 2000 with both the 0.3 and 0.9 versions of the 7650 SDK.

===

This is relatively easy, as Nokia already supplied a correct cdbv2.dat file:
    %EPOCROOT%Epoc32\Wins\c\Sytem\Data\cdbv2_ras.dat

Just delete (rename?) the current cdbv2.dat and rename cdbv2_ras.dat to cdbv2.dat.

===

This is somewhat harder, and you cannot just copy over cdbv2_ras.dat from the 0.3 SDK: they are incompatible.

Among other things, the login script in cdbv2.dat is broken and is not editable through setupcomms.bat.

Symbian has supplied source code, rasconfigure.zip, that addresses this problem on Quartz. I modified that source code, and used it to fix the login script for the 7650. I also had to modify commdb by running %EPOCROOT%Shared\EPOC32\Tools\setupcomms.bat to change the default connection profile and a few other things.

I'm currently trying to get my boss's ok to release this fix. Give me a shout if you need it still.

Regards

David Jacobson
    Degel Software Ltd.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi all,

I apologize for the wrong information provided by a Forum Nokia colleague posted in this discussion. While configuring the NT RAS connection for your N7650 emulator, a piece information you can use from the document named "Setup Connection Between Nokia 9210 Emulator & NT RAS Server", is just the "RAS SERVER AND RAS CONNECTION CONFIGURATIONS" section, which tells you how to set parameters on the PC side.

In the Series 60 SDK release v0.9, the cdbv2.dat file is not correctly set for RAS connection, therefore you cannot use it before modifying it. The reason why we don't provide RAS configuration instructions for the N7650 is that the N7650 emulator may not need NT RAS anymore in the final release, instead the emulator can use WINSOCK directly. This is not a confirmation but we are pursuing the purpose!

Temporarily, one can request the correct cdbv2.dat configured for NT RAS for the N7650 emulator from us by issuing your request on the Developer feedback channel (link: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,35452,6,00.html) and choose the My feedback is about: "Nokia Series 60 SDK"

Best Regards,
    FN Developer Support

I am also facing the same problem. I am trying to dial out to another machine running RAS server. no success

Regular Contributor

Hello,

Additional cdbv2.dat file are no longer needed. The default file delivered with the Series 60 SDK v1.0 should work fine.

Best Regards,
    Marko / Forum Nokia