Discussion Board

Thread: location APIs

location APIs

Anyone know when we'll see the majority of wireless devices with the javax.microedition.location package? Right now, I don't see any. Are there any?

I feel I have a great idea for a location based application that I would like to start a company off of.

Are there any other programming languages that will give me access to location information right now? If so, which languages?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
    >Right now, I don't see any. Are there any?

No.

>I feel I have a great idea for a location based application that I would like to start a company off of.

I'm sure it's not only you. I believe that some smart people will start developing j2me applications with the location API even before the release of one mobilephone which has the api.

>Are there any other programming languages that will give me access to location information right now? If so, which languages?

You can get the CellID. It's possible to access it in j2me on some phones (motorola?) and on nokia symbian phones with the C++ language.

Regards,
    Sebastian Szczygiel

Regular Contributor

answer

for this moment may be javax.microedition.locaton.* not yet implement but it may be in progreess but at Motorola its has been installed at iDen version an nokia also make it at N5140 (if i not make mistake), but that class for they one class not from java dev.

At this moment i still studying that for Motorola and at nokia not yet because they does not publish they package.

But if you study CDMA devcice that application are ready.