Discussion Board

Debugging apps on Series 40

I have an app that runs on the emulators but not on the series 40 phones themselves. It's a bit of a memory hog, but as far as I can tell it stays within the limits of the platform when I run it under the profiler. But when it runs on the phone, it works for a while and then quits, no message.

Any thoughts on how to debug this? On other phones I can connect a remote terminal to the phone and read what's sent to System.out, but I haven't seen anything like that on the Nokia. Any other way to figure out what's happening on the phone?

Thanks for any help.

Hugh

Super Contributor
    It's not an easy task debugging on the devices themselves.
    First of all, instead of System.out.println()'s, you can use other methods to save debug info. You can send it through http to a server that logs it, or you can save it in the RMS, and put another MIDlet in the MIDlet Suite that can then read the logs from the RMS. The downside with these methods is that they might affect the performance of the application, and hence the results might not be accurate.
    The second option you have is just plain old guesswork. Try to guess what might be going wrong, take out the offending part, run it again and see if it helps. Repeat until your almost sure (because it's practically impossible to be 100% sure) you found the bug.

shmoove

Regular Contributor
    It looks like you are out of memory.
    I notices, that if you run midlet and all of a sudden you are out of memory, it will just close without any kind of error message.

Dima
    Game Artists, LLC
    www.GameArtists.com

Super Contributor
    Actually, from my experience, if you run out of memory on S40 phones an "Unable to run application" message is displayed.

shmoove

Regular Contributor
    Ah, yeah, indeed.
    But it does not say that you are out of memory, if compare to exception when you try to get an access to invalid index...