Discussion Board

Browser Emulator - xhtml rendered as text

howdy folks,

i'd appreciate if somebody could help me out with this :

I'm using NMIT to develop a XHTML site. XHTML Document renders correctly if i open it with the Browser Emulators "File/Open".

However, if i try to open the XHTML on my local apache server, the Document is sent to the Browser Emulator in plain text/xhtml-Sourcecode.

What really irritates me is the fact that when i browse the very same XHTML on an Internet Server (it's an apache too) the XHTML is also rendered correctly...

Some more details :

The Browser Simulators Diagnostics says the Response is of type application/vnd.wap.wmlc when i point it to the file on my local apache, whereas the Response from the Internet Server is application/xhtml+xml...

In an .htaccess file, which is used on both servers, i specify the following mime :

AddType text/vnd.wap.wml .wml
    AddType image/vnd.wap.wbmp .wbmp
    AddType application/vnd.wap.wmlc .wmlc
    AddType text/vnd.wap.wmlscript .wmls
    AddType application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc .wmlsc
    AddType application/xhtml+xml .xhtml

Is this a known problem of the NOKIA Browser/WAP Gateway Simulator, or am i missing something ????

Thanx in advance,

Sosa

Regular Contributor
    If you get application/vnd.wap.wmlc from the local server it should be a server configuration error. If you run wap gateway, maybe it change the content type, but it should be applied to the other server too. There are no differences between local and internet servers.

strange...

hey kisember, thanx for spending some thoughts on my problem, any suggestions and hints are appreciated....

i wonder if any global settings in apache override the .htaccess directives ?!? researching the problem i only see documentation referring to .htaccess files as a type of auth mechanism...

i thought the whole point of declaring "addtype application/xhtml+xml .xhtml" is to tell the server that it should recognize the mimetype and create a response that identifies itself as application/xhtml+xml...

.......hmmmmmmmm...........?!...

*S*

PS.: Case solved. The 'AllowOverride' directive of my local apache was set to 'None' meaning my .htaccess had no effect. The reason i never noticed is that all the .wml files got served correctly because of the predefined mime types in the 'mime.types' file ;-)

Last edited by papasosa; 2004-05-11 at 23:04.