Discussion Board

TextField Appearance

Hi, when I run my program (which is basically a screen for people to type numbers in, it does stuff then with the numbers) on a Symbian (s60 or above) phone, I get a nice little box I can type straight into, on the s40 though, I need to get this working on a 3510i, it gives a few dots and you have to press a button to go to another screen _> enter the number _> press ok then the number is in. Can I type straight into the box for the s40? please help, urgent. Thanks!

No, you can't. It's up to the manufacturer do decide how exactly TextFields and all other UI elements llok on their phone.

However, there is a good point also
    All the native phone applications use input fields of the same style. Hence, such behavior would be no surprise for a user. In fact he might be annoyed if your application behaved in some unusual for this phone way.

That makes sense, very interesting point, but sau I did want this 'easy' text box, apart from the symbian phones, do you know what phones (nokia) handle their text fileds in this way?

Regular Contributor
    If you change the date or time on a series40 phone then it acts how you would like it to, i.e. you enter text directly on the screen nicely laid out in the middle...

Why we can't make the textfield act like this is anyones guess.

Regular Contributor
    You can make a custom textbox in Canvas. Though it will take some code, but it really isn't that hard. I've made one for my MIDlet, works great.

Regular Contributor
    But how do you support the various text entry modes? It is fine producing something basic for text entry but what about if the user it used to using itap and is suddenly presented with a different input method.

On my games I have a hiscore entry but this uses a traditional arcade entry system (i.e. all the letters laid out and you move a cursor around to select them), this works well for games but would not be of any use for a more taditional app that demanded a fair bit of text interaction.

You are right, it is very easy to have a nice looking textbox system that you draw yourself, it is a little more tricky supporting all the text entry modes. From what I can see only the Form stuff allows this (unless I am wrong, which I could well be).

Regular Contributor
    Absolutly. Using low level Canvas you have to code EVERYTHING including input mode. But in most cases it is worth the time and code. High Level components kind of look cheap and ugly

But how about extending CustomItem to make a nice text field?
    This way you can put it on a Form and don't bother about scrolling.
    Canvas is good, but is just too low-level programming for just one simple application.
    Does enyone have an example for this?

Re: TextField Appearance

Hi

Perhaps we can decide on the form (TextField or TextBox) based on the platform. If it's a Series40 device, use TextBox or else TextFiled.

This seem to work fine if we manually create two instances of the MIDlet.

Is there a way to detect if the device is Series 40?

M.

Super Contributor

Hi,

AFAIK there is no way to find the series of the phone. But u can find the phone model by using System.getProperty("microedition.platform"). It also gives the SW version.

Wang

Thanks, Wang. That's what I feared. Have been using that property from some time.

If there are any other parameters that are specific to Symbian or S40 devices that can help us closely approximate the series, it'll be really helpfu.

M.