Discussion Board

Thread: game with a map

game with a map

Hi

I want to make a game, like RISK, and i want to jump between diferent areas/countries.

I have a big png image, with the map, and a array, containing the the coordenates of each country in the map.

How can i construct the code, using the available classes, so the map can be shown in 2 diferent ways:

- The hole map
    - a zone of the map (Rectangle) where is center is the coordenate of a country, and when using some keys, the map can be moved to the new contry?

Thanks
    I saw some tutorials, but they focuse on a diferent prespective of this one, isnt it?
    Last edited by alojix; 2004-05-11 at 00:16.

If I understood, you should save each country in a different PNG and then cobine them to show the whole map and use them separated to show single countries...

ciao,
    dw

Regular Contributor
    yes, in the game development, the map arthemetic is a very important problem, the ordinary solution is that you can save the map zones into an array, then you can appear them optionally by operate the array!

No scaling

There is now way to scale your map so you need at least one world map small and one large. Then it should be quite easy to center the screen on a country (on the large map) with clipping.

I would consider a solution of no centering but show a continent on each screen (can be though to fit Asia though...)

hot

Hello how are you?
    Please I need a map of Iraq have not found on the website

Super Contributor

Re: hot

Quote Originally Posted by m12350 View Post
    Hello how are you?
    Please I need a map of Iraq have not found on the website
    There are no maps here. Try contacting NAVTEQ or tomTom/TeleAtlas, who are global providers of actual world mapping data (not for free, however). There are also some open source projects collecting map data, such as http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Not sure if anyne has maps available for Iraq, though.

Hello sir I want the map of Iraq is working on Nokia n8

Nokia Developer Moderator

Petrib has not mentioned the most important thing: http://www.nokia.com/discussions is the site where you could ask about Maps. I would suggest the "Maps, Navigation and GPS" discussion board there.

Note that this site, "Nokia Developer" is about supporting software developers. And in this discussion "game with a map", someone wanted to develop a Risk-like game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_(game)), in May, 2004, so more than 8 years ago.