Discussion Board

Send file (jar or sis) using a SMS

Hi all !

I'd like to know if it is possible to send files (jar or sis...) using a SMS.

Can somebody help me ? I'd like to know which API I must use... and have some advices.

I use java (j2me).
    I've already written an application for sending and receiving SMS (using WMA API).

Thank you for your help.

Hi. Could anyone tell me how to create a J2ME application to send SMS messages and compile it to get a installation file? I'd like to create this application. Thanks

wap push

hei man, maybe you are interested in wap SI message?
    please contact me vanya11@one.ee

Re: Send file (jar or sis) using a SMS

hello
    i want to know how to send a jar file using SMS, can you give me som help here if you reach anything ?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newonilaa View Post
    hello
    i want to know how to send a sis file using SMS, can you give me som help here if you reach anything ?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultracoxy View Post
    Hi. Could anyone tell me how to create a sis application to send SMS messages and compile it to get a installation file? I'd like to create this application. Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Send file (jar or sis) using a SMS

Quote Originally Posted by ultracoxy View Post
    Hi all !

I'd like to know if it is possible to send files (jar or sis...) using a SMS.

Can somebody help me ? I'd like to know which API I must use... and have some advices.
    I dont think it is possible to send a jar or sis file via SMS coz SMS is ONLY USED FOR TEXT MESSAGING..
    Take a look here:
    What IS SMS??
    What u can do is that upload the sis file to a server and send the link to the user via sms through which the user can download that content (Remember! it needs Internet on the both phone ) .Hope it helps..

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Super Contributor

Well, one could of course take a binary file, encode it as text (or send as binary SMS). In any case, you can only send the file in 140 byte chunks, and the receiving side must be able to piece it together. Besides encoding it as text, additional overhead comes from adding checksums and counters to know all chunks have been received, etc.

So, it can be done, but it makes no sense to do it (especially as the cost per bit of SMS is very high).

Of course, the easiest way to "send" an app via SMS is , indeed, just to send a link (URL) to where the app is on the Internet. Then the recipient can open the link and download and install the app using their own phone's default browser.

I am doing a project that will require SMS to be PUSH in response. I use a Phone as an SMS gateway/modem. Every thing is working alright but I have this problem.

The SMS Senders name is supposed to be seen at the reciever end instead of the Number.

Please, what AT command to I employ to achieve this?

Thank you in anticipation for your assistance.

Benjamin, Prince C.O.

chuddy17@hotmail.com

Try this program, it's sending file to you phone, from computer via sms
    http://pimpedoutpdas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23