Discussion Board

Nokia 7650 and Nokia 3650

I am new to Symbian. So please dont mind if this question seems stupid.

Is it possible to develop a game for Nokia 7650 that will work on Nokia 3650. I know they are both series 60 and all but I am concerned about the different key layout. Does this matter or will my application run on both without any modification.

I would appreciate it if someone can reply.

Thank u

Nokia Developer Moderator
    nope difference when it comes to applications. The kays produce same keycodes that are handled by FEP and it's also working just the same in both phones.

yucca

Super Contributor
    As far as I know there is only one difference between these devices you should count with. N7650 doesn't have "help application" so context sensitive help will not work... The same applies also for Siemens SX1.

Regular Contributor

how to code OfferKeyEventL?

i am currently using the following code for my OfferKeyEventL

Code:
    switch(aKeyEvent.iCode)
    	{
    	case(EKeyUpArrow):
    	case('3'):
    	case('2'):
    		iEngine->RotatePiece(-1);
    		if(iEngine->iState == EPaused)
    			{
    			iEngine->DoResume();
    			}
    		break;
    	}
    This works fine on 7650/6600 phones. My problem is, how do i modify this code so that it also works for 3650? i read in Single_Player_Games_v1_01.pdf that:

... the Nokia 3650 imaging phone has an unusual keypad layout. As a
    result, slightly different UI designs may be needed for different phones. For example, using 2 for “Up,” 4
    for “Left,” 6 for “Right,” and 8 for “Down” — as many mobile games do — will make the UI unintuitive
    when the game is played on a Nokia 3650 phone.
    In J2ME implementations, this can be worked around by using MIDP’s high-level “game actions” (Left,
    Right, Fire, and so on), which each device will map correctly to appropriate keys, rather than specifying
    particular keys in the code.
    My question is.. can i do this too in symbian? or the only solution is to hard-code the keycode for each device (like what i did)?

Super Contributor
    Of course this code will work with N3650 fine. But it may be a little bit awkward to have these keys mapped this way.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to distinguish programmatically which key should be mapped to which action. The only solution is to hardcode these things for different devices and then at the start of the application try to find out what device the application runs on and choose the appropriate keys...

Regular Contributor
    thank you sopta! :)