Discussion Board

Download app to my phone

Hi.
    I got some problems with my MIDlet. I have tested it on a 7210 emulator and now I'm trying to download it to my 3510i.

I have never downloaded a java-application to any phone, since I have not been willing to pay for a program or game that I won't use. But programming on my own is something that I think is fun, and cheap.

Well, I went Menu->Applications->App.Services->http://mysite.com/download.wml

download.wml contains this (amongst other things):
    <a href="app.jad">Download</a>

The site appears correctly. I click phone-button on the link. All I get is a description of the MIDlet appearing like this:
    -------TEXT--------
    MIDlet-Name: App
    etc.

But I don't get the app to my phone.

I have download.wml, app.jad and app.jar on the same place.

Thanks
    /J Lindroos
    Last edited by jorgen.lindroos; 2004-05-16 at 14:13.

Probably your website doesn't return correct MIME settings for JAD and JAR files. I.e. when server sends JAD file, it tells your phone that it is just a text file and phone displays it as a text file.

There was a number of similar posts recently. Do some search on the Forum for how to set correct MIME types.

One more solution is not to use web-site at all. As far as I understood, you just want to test your app on the real device. You could use Nokia PC Suite for your phone model

I see. Seemes to be the problem. I will look at it.
    The reason I'm not using data-suite is because the program is also intended to test OTA-downloading.

Thankyou very much for your concern.
    /J Lindroos

One more thing. Instead of changing your website settings, you can find a free hosting, that has correct settings already
    Search the forum, people reported of some free hostings
    Last edited by doctordwarf; 2004-05-16 at 14:38.

There was no problem to change the MIME-settings. First it didn't work, but I found out that the page was in the cache of the phone. So after emptying the cache, everything worked fine.

But it doesn't seem to work to download it to a SE T310. Why is that, does it not support MIDP 1.0?

Thank you very much for your help. Appreciate

/J Lindroos