Discussion Board

Nokia 6100 MMS limitation

Hello,
    is Nokia 6100 unability to include MID file in MMS definitive HW based limitation or is it going to change in some future firmware version. It is kind of unfair in N6100 price cathegory it is not able to do things like let say cheaper N3100 does.

Actually, with some 3rd party software it is possible to save MMS with MID included into Drafts folder and send it later from phone - so in some way it works - I've tried that.

Same thing with IrDA gallery content sendind to other phone. Is it going to be there or not.

Thanks very much.
    Jan

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

Have a look to some of the DRM documents (Digital Rights Management) at Forum Nokia WEB site. SOme content types are being forward locked until all phones has a OMA DRM implemented.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

MMS - MID

Thanks a lot for your answer.
    So, if I understand it well, it is not 6100's unability to include MID in MMS, but it has been locked because 6100 is not capable of protecting rights on MIDs, right?
    I had a look in DRM documents, and it is quite clear now, but in discussion board one of your colleges(enstedt or so, not sure) wrote that 6100 is capable of OMA DRM 1.0?!
    Therefore I would lay this question in another way: if 6100 is not OMA DRM 1.0 compliant, is it going to be? And then, will be this, let say, all-mids-lock removed? And IrDA?
    Thanks again, Jan
    Last edited by kusic; 2004-06-07 at 12:06.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

The content protection is provided in the Nokia 6100 with Closed Content List. In very briefly this is the 'hard-coded' list of the MIME types and device UI is not allowing any content type from this list to be forwarded from the device. For more information about the CCL please see:

http://www.forum.nokia.com - Resources - Technologies - DRM and Download - Documents - 'DRM Developer's Guide for Nokia Devices' document, appendix A.

Unfortunately there is a typo in the old post (the one you are referring in your post) related to the devices supporting the OMA DRM v1.0: the Nokia 6100 does not have OMA DRM supported. We are sorry about the inconvenience!

You can find the OMA DRM support in the Nokia devices from the Forum Nokia main web page (http://www.forum.nokia.com) by selecting 'Device Specifications' and link for device specific pages.

Kind regards,

sami / Forum Nokia Developer Support

MMS - MID

Thanks a lot.
    Apendix A is very clear about this topic.
    There is also said that current devices will be EVENTUALLY adopted for OMA DRM and CCL will be eventually removed. So, please, are you aware about that CCL will be eventually adopted to OMA DRM in Nokia 6100's future FW? I mean that now we've got series40 devices with OMA DRM (6230, 3100), so the time of OMA DRM is here or not?
    Thanks Jan

Regular Contributor
    "Eventually" refers to future devices. If a device is out that is using the content closed list as it's "DRM" mechanism, its firmware will not be upgraded in the future to have a different DRM mechanism.

-paul / ForumNokia