Discussion Board

Layout ignored in S60 concept SDK

Series 60 Concept SDK Beta 0.3.1 handles layout directives incorrectly.

I'm using a StringItem to center some text. I pass in a null label so that the label, which causes row breaks in the emulator, is non existent. I setLayout(StringItem.LAYOUT_CENTER).

This works perfectly in the generic emulator in the wireless toolkit. Doesn't work at all in the Nokia emulator.

I have also tried using spacers, which works in the WTK, doesn't work in Nokia either.

Also I'm using ChoiceGroups with null labels. They don't show the choice at all.

It is quite impossible to use MIDP2.0 layout rules if you can't use null labels to override row breaking on labels. The standard clearly says you can.

This is a problem for Nokia if they want people not to use their own GUI implementations to layout stuff.

Layout Hell

I agree with what you say about the Layouts in MIDP2.

Its unbelieveable, all other emaulators show the layouts as you develop them, so why cant the Nokia S60 emulator.

The emulator itself is a good replication of how the actual devices handle the Layouts, ie. all MIDP2 layouts are ignored and MIDP1 layouts are implemented. We bought a 6600 to physically test it and guess what, it looks like MIDP1.

This is terrible, we are trying to find a device that actually implements MIDP2, we are looking at the Ericsson Z1010, it seems the emulator does it, hopefully the device does too.

Has anybody had any success with a device and layouts for MIDP2 ????

Cheers
    All

Splay !!

> I'm using a StringItem to center some text. I pass in a null label > so that the label, which causes row breaks in the emulator, is
    > non existent. I setLayout(StringItem.LAYOUT_CENTER).

I got it working with Nokia S60 emultor like this:

Stringitem stHeader;
    stHeader = new StringItem("", "News header");
    stHeader.setLayout(Item.LAYOUT_CENTER|Item.LAYOUT_2);

But, as you say, TextFields doesn't look right on real phone (example 6600).

i found that only ChoiceGroup & TextField can't layout, but i just want i work, how can i do?, i try to place a spacer before a ChoiceGroup, but the ChoiceGroup always display at a new line, even i use setPreferedSize()