Discussion Board

Developing for the Symbian platform

How can Nokia/Symbian expect that programming for the Symbian platform will catch on without sufficient documentation?

They obviously do not feel the need to answer questions about documentation either, e.g.:

"The Nokia 9210 SDK documentation gratiously states that the resource STRUCTs EDWIN, LABEL, IMAGE, CBA and so on and so on is not documented... Now I just cannot believe that these very basic control types that I would like to put in just about any dialog should not be documented anywhere, AT LEAST with their respective classnames and IDs. I used to be able to find it on the Symbian website (although not updated since EPOC 5?), but now it seems all gone. I am not asking about header files, I am asking about DOCUMENTATION... "

Please do help, or the world will soon have one Symbian programmer LESS. By the way; I have been programming on many, many platforms, for fifteen years now (professionally), but I have never seen anything like this...

Regular Contributor

RE: Developing for the Symbian platform

There is both SDK documentation and SDK help for 9210 in start menu. Use the SDK help and its search tab to get accurate detailed results fast.

What particular control type do you searching for?

There is CEikCheckBox used for checkbox, CEikTextListBox for listboxes and CEikScrollBar for scrollbars.
    (and more like CCknOpenFileDialog(open file dialog), CEikHorOptionButtonList (radio buttons))

They are with the same details as you found under CEikEdwin about EDWIN(few pages). For LABELS there is CEikLabel object, for IMAGE there is Class CEikImage. You will find very detailed examples, resource files in SDK help under "Control Button Array (CBA)" chapter. Also there are the link to CEikButtonGroupContainer details.

Best Regards,
    (V) - Forum Nokia Developer Support

Regular Contributor

RE: Developing for the Symbian platform

Clarification:

About GT APIs Uikon Core Controls:
    The term GT (in GT API), means Generic Technology and Uikon is a general graphic interface library for EPOC. The different Device Family Reference Designs(like 9210(Crystal), S60, etc.) extends this GUI. Not all DFRD support all kind of resource, in example Perl doesn't support HOTKEY. In Nokia 9210 SDK documentation only Crystal UI related STRUCTs are documented, not the other ones. The overview of the Crystal Uikon Core Controls is under (Contents/Crystal.../ Api Guide/Application Framework/Uikon Core Controls Overview).

Previously My first sentence meaning were that after installation both SDK help and SDK documentation exist separately, and I prefer/suggest to use SDK help instead SDK documentation.
    Now I copy here some RESOURCE related examples from the SDK help:
    For CBA:
    RESOURCE CBA r_myapp_cba
    {
    // breadth=80;
    buttons=
    {
    CBA_BUTTON
    {
    id=ECbaButton0; //The Id of the button.
    //Declare in the .hrh file and #include in code
    txt="Button 0"; //Button text for the top button.
    },
    CBA_BUTTON
    {
    id=ECbaButton1;
    txt="Button 1";
    },
    CBA_BUTTON
    {
    id=EEikBidBlank; //Blocks keypresses to the app
    txt=""; //no text - this button will not be displayed
    },
    //The last button is often used to close the application
    CBA_BUTTON
    {
    id=EEikCmdExit; //Standard id for exiting an application.
    txt="Close";
    }
    };
    }

For STATUS_PANE_APP_MODEL:
    //The status pane model.
    RESOURCE STATUS_PANE_APP_MODEL r_myapp_status_pane_declaration
    {
    layout = R_INDICATOR_LAYOUT_NARROW; //Narrow layout.
    }

For DLG_BUTTONS you could use the resource file in ..\Symbian\6.0\NokiaCPP\NokiaEx\FIND\gui\group\find.rss example:

RESOURCE DLG_BUTTONS r_find_dialog_buttons
    {
    //...
    }
    There are MENU_BAR, EDWIN, CMBUT used too in this example's resource file as well. There are more, easy to find...

There is a possibility that the documentation is not contain every and all detail or it contain disturbing information,(we work constantly on to improve the documentation using the concrete feedback of the developers) but it sound weird that Crystal Uikon Core Controls not documented at all.
    Regards,
    (V) - Forum Nokia Developer Support