Discussion Board

Why is there a midlet upper size limit?

I know that nokia has a limit of 30K per midlet. My understanding is that this cannot be changed. Is this just nokia setting this limit as i cannot find in the midp spec this limit. Why have they done it and are they likely to change it?

Regular Contributor

RE: Why is there a midlet upper size limit?

Hi,

The 6310i has a limit of 30k for MIDlet jar files, that's 30720 bytes of less. I don't know why, but the limit is hard coded into the device and can't be changed. The 3410 has a limit of 50k (51200 bytes), as will the 7210 (and the new 6610 which seems to be identical!) I expect. The 7650 has no such limits, your jar files can be much larger, although there might be a practical upper limit.

The reason, at least for now, is that Over the Air downloading to these devices is limited by the capabilities of WAP gateways. Only one or two operators I know of at the moment (in the UK) support 30k, most are a lot less. None support 50k or more yet, and even if they did, loading that amount of data over a GSM connection is not going to provide a good user experience.

The size limits will reduce given time, 50k will be the next one, followed by bigger sizes. I think the limits are in place now to provide resonable user experiences and allow operators to plan and manage their system upgrades.

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi,

I don't know where to find the official information, but here are the specs I know:

3410: 50k retail (some older dev software might have 30k)
    6310i: 30k
    7650: 100k

Also note that retail version of 3410 might have some problems when OTA downloading. I wasn't able to download the games with the retail version but I had to get a development version to my hands...

- Sampsa

Regular Contributor

Hi,

> Have you actually made something for the 7650? I've heard that there
    > is a limit of 100 kilos, but I haven't been able to test this out (we
    > won't probably make games for it as it a high-end phone).

I've done a few things for the 7650, Java and Symbian. The current Series 60 MIDP SDK has a few issues, when you start doing things like using the TYPE_USHORT_4444_ARGB screen format and the Nokia UI drawPixels calls for example. On the whole though, it works pretty well.

I hadn't actually made a J2ME app bigger than about 70k though, so the 100k limit wasn't an issue.

> Also, have you tested the retail 3410? We weren't able to OTA
    > download anything with it, but with development software it worked
    > like charm.

I have got a 3410 receintly. There are lots of posts all over the forums about people having trouble getting stuff OTA onto it. A lot seems to boil down to the WAP gateway you use. If you're in the UK, I've found the Orange gateway supports up to 30k, and can be used on any network, although you need to dial the right number, so it costs more than normal.

Cheers,
    Steve

People are right about the download limits applied by some operators but the reality is you cannot download more than 100 kb to a Nokia 7650. After many long nights tailing an unrestricted WAP gateway log the device successfully downloads everything then proceeds to throw an application manager error.