Discussion Board

OMA-CP INTERNET setting and GSM-USSD parameter

I'm using the OMA-CP format for setting SyncML settings on 7200, 6220 and 6230 clients. I set the TO-NAPID of the w5 settings to INTERNET so that I don't need to specify connection settings and this works fine if the client has GPRS settings selected in the 'Services' menu.

However, for non-GPRS connections, unless the client is set up manually with SyncML and GSM connection settings, the SyncML application on the client requests connection settings to be entered. when I try to sync, regardless of what GSM connection settings are avilable in the Services menu.

Is there a way of specifying any connection for the SyncML app? I've tried sending an OTA with GSM-USSD in the BEARER attribute of a NAPDEF with the INTERNET parameter set and I've tried setting up the client manually but the only way I can get the OMA-CP provisioned w5 application to connect using the 'Services' settings is by using GPRS.

To get the GPRS settings to the client I use the Nokia support site and this doesn't have GSM-USSD settings for the phones above. Can GSM-USSD be used in this situation from the Services settings?

My SyncML OMA-CP prov document is below.
    Thanks in advance for any help

Dave.

<wap-provisioningdoc version="1.0">
    <characteristic type="APPLICATION">
    <parm name="APPID" value="w5"/>
    <parm name="TO-NAPID" value="INTERNET"/>
    <parm name="NAME" value="SyncML"/>
    <parm name="ADDR" value="http://mysite.com/my-syncml-server"/>
    <characteristic type="RESOURCE">
    <parm name="URI" value="contact"/>
    <parm name="AACCEPT" value="text/x-vcard"/>
    </characteristic>
    <characteristic type="APPAUTH">
    <parm name="AAUTHNAME" value="user"/>
    <parm name="AAUTHSECRET" value="password"/>
    </characteristic>
    </characteristic>
    </wap-provisioningdoc>

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

Is there a reason why you don't send the NAPDEF along with the w5 settings? Just put the w5 settings to point a APN that will follow on the same settings document.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

Thanks for the reply Teemu, the reason I don't want to send the connection settings is that it's not ideal to find all the access details for all GSM networks in all countries of the world.

The SyncML server and hence the related w5 settings are independent of the connection so it seems strange that I should have to provide all these details.

Is sending all the connection parameters really the only way? If it is do you know how I can find out the connection settings for every GMS network in every country?

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

Well it's a bit tricky in a sence that not all operators use the INTERNET tag at their APN settings. Also the INTERNET APN may be missing totally from the phone.

If you want to refer some existing APN settings you have to know the NAPDEF name. On the other hand with S40 device there is no need for pure INTERNET accesspoint due the fact that MMS or browser usually uses proxy between the client and server. It's a bit easier in S60, there are plenty of applications that utilizes/needs a direct INTERNET APN.

Teemu / Forum Nokia