Discussion Board

MIDI/Audio on 3100?

I have documentation that says the 3100 can playback SP-MIDI files and even AMR-WB files, but I also have documentation that states otherwise. the point seems kinda moot since my programmer can't seem to get midi or digital audio to playback on the 3100. We're trying to just get tones to play now, but Sound Converter doesn't seem to work, and I've converted my midi file to a .nokia file, but can't quite figure out how to get this to play or convert it to the byte[0x00] format (which I don't understand how this translates from music to mathematics). Any help I can get enabling me to playback MIDI, musical tones, or digital audio through the 3100 would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    brad

Super Contributor
    Hi,

Nokia 3100 supports SP-MIDI at polyphony of 16. AMR-WB is not supported. You could send the problematic MIDI file to me, smart.messaging@nokia.com, and I could check what's wrong with it.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Thanks for the reply, however I don't think it's the MIDI file that's the problem here. We've got the SP-MIDI file to play on the 3650 phone using the MMAPI. It seems that the series 40 phones, or at least the 3100, doesn't support the MMAPI, so my programmer tried using the Nokia UI API to play back the MIDI file, but this API seems only able to play back tones. Therefore, I think my main question/problem here is how do you get the 3100 to play an SP-MIDI file? (Incidentally, the documentation I have says the polyphony of the 3100 is only 4, so my MIDI file uses no more than 4 voices at a time).

thanks,
    brad

[UPDATE] so now we've got the MIDI file playing back after converting it with the audio converter in the Nokia Development Suite from a MIDI file to a data byte array, but several of the notes are playing incorrectly. I initially thought it was because my melody was outside the supported note range of the 3100, but I transposed it down and still get the same problem. Has anyone else experienced similar problems using the Nokia tools and does anyone have a workaround?
    thanks,
    brad