Discussion Board

How to use T9 language dictionary directly?

I want to use built-in language dictonary (T9) in my program, using my own way of entering text, without FEP.
    Is there a way to connect to it and get database of words? Or even better utilize searching of matching word combinations from given keypresses?

Nokia Developer Moderator
    AFAIK the T9 is non-public, so no headers supporting its usage in normal SDK's.

yucca

Thanks.

If that's the case, how could I utilize services of T9 dictionary, while having my own text entry and text drawing system?

Do I need to create a text entry control? Keep it hidden, and only grab its contents? Or will Symbian provide text entering functionality without actually displaying the text, and let application display it its own way?

Nokia Developer Moderator
    The text entry is handled normally with Front End Processor (FEP), there is ready made example of it available in downlaod section. Also remember to download the FEPSetup example so you can activate your FEP when needed.

yucca

Unfortunately FEP example from Nokia is a simplified idealistic example. The real T9Fep is a complicated beast, which depends on so many conditions, that it behaves completely different for my fep-aware text control.

I suspect T9Fep is dependent on CEikEdwin, and any attempts to create custom controls from MCoeFepAwareTextEditor are waste of time. I've spend a week trying to implement text editor, but it simply won't work with T9fep. There're plenty of glitches that can't be solved (backspace crashes, left key always moves cursor to end of line, etc, etc).