Discussion Board

SDKs on Mac OSX, Linux etc.

I find it disturbing that there is so little support for other operating systems when looking for SDKs.

Why on Earth would anyone decide to wrap a Sun Java application in a Microsoft Windows specific exe file?

Sun Java applications are supposed to be portable among Windows, Linux, BSD, Mac OSX etc. etc.

Why, oh why does it need to be an exe file?

Developers aren't stupid, so please give us a jar file instead. We know what to do with a jar file. And if we don't then we shouldn't be working as a developer anyway!

Or have I missed something somewhere?
    Last edited by timun; 2004-06-27 at 11:28.

Re: SDKs on Mac OSX, Linux etc.

This. Why, Nokia, would you alienate one of your biggest group of boosters (Linux devs)? And why write off an entire segment of computer users (Mac users)?

It's like, if you own a Mac, Nokia wants you to buy an iPhone.

That's Apple-style thinking. Why not grab Mac devs and PC (Windows and Linux)?

It's not like we don't know what to do with a ZIP file.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Let’s see, it took 5 years and 4 months for someone to respond to the original call for Linux tools..... Maybe that is why

I'm teasing this is a serious problem and the reason is that it takes more than just tools to create an applications.

Not to mention the task of changing and managing the file systems for 3 different file systems for the SDKS you would need to recompile the compilers, build tools, debuggers, emulators. Doing this simultaneously is impossible. So you end up writing one set of SDKs for the alpha and beta testers and then play catch up with the other systems. The end result is that by the time the Linux and Mac versions would be ready they would be obsolete.

Ron

why don't nokia create a pre installed linux pc (for unbuntu or fedora), that will easily install meego, s40 sdk, qt..
    they made netbook, so they can do it.
    a lot of us osx users have no easy way to develop for nokia since installing meego on osx is thwart with problems. just installing linux on mac is problematic. if i buy a windows pc, there is no guarantee it will be compatible with linux.
    i would happily buy a nokia linux pc, tailor made for development with nokia sdk's.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

You know that is what games developers have, they get an entire system with tools for that system and use it for the entire developement cycle. That way the tool vendors do not need to worry about updates or variations etc. I am not sure it is pracitcal in cost for low profit items like device apps compared to Wii or XBox games.

Ron

well as a cheaper alternative, why don't nokia create a team who support installing sdk's on pc hardware that is guranteed to work with version x.x of linux (fedora / unbuntu). provide the developers with full detailed instructions on sdk setup. first showing us a list of guranteed pc's that will install linux, and then the s40 / meego sdks if i know that if i go and buy this specific pc, and its guranteed to work when i install linux, and then the sdk's , i would happily go and buy one.