Discussion Board

Verisign certificates for MIDP 2.0 Nokia phones

I bought a "Verisign Code Signing certificate" to sign MIDP 2.0 applications, and it's works well in a Nokia 6230 but when I try to download the same midlet to a Nokia 6600 it didn't works well (it returns a 909 status code), because the Nokia 6600 hasn't got a "Verisign Code Signing root certificate", so:

1º Which is the Verisign certificate that I should use to sign a midlet for ALL MIDP 2.0 Nokia phones?

2º Will Nokia install a "Verisign Code Signing root certificate" in all it's MIDP 2.0 mobile phones?

Hi there,
    I also bought a Verisign Code Signing certificate, but for some reason I can not manage to sign a MIDlet.

I created a new keystore, imported the certificate and signed the MIDlet using NDS.
    It didn't work.

Could you tell me how you managed that.

Thanks

hi rmellado,
    The problem you mention can be found on many posts on Nokia forums.
    The issue is with the firmware verison on your nokia 6600.If the version is lower than 4.0.9, then there is no support for signed midlets.
    Hope this helps.

Signing a midlet

Hi Markus,

I'm using the NDS to sign my midlets and the stepts that I followed:

1º Import with the "keytool" (included in the JDK) the Verisign Code Signing certificate in the java keystore in which was stored your private key.

2º With the NDS import the key pair from your keystore. This option ask you the java keystore password to access.

3º Sign your midlet.

I hope this help you

hi rmellado,

unfortunately, I couldn't get it work.

I performed the following steps:
    //Creating a new keystore:
    keytool -genkey
    //Answering all the questions
    //Importing the certificate
    keytool -import -alias myalias -file cert.cer

Then I got the following error:
    Keytool-Error: java.lang.Exception: No X.509-Certificate

The certicate details says, that it's a SHA1withRSA one.
    Do I have to provide this information to the keytools somehow ?

Regards

Regular Contributor
    Hi, I want to sign my application too, it's for series 60 cellphones. What kind of verisign certificate do I need to download? If the cellphone doesn't support the verisigin, will i nstall still be able to continue? WHich series60 cellphones will be supported? what is the process to sign the phone?

Thanks,
    Erica

Is the certificate bounded by server domain like an SSL cert? e.g. if I apply the cert with www.abc.com, should the midlets signed by this cert be downloaded from www.abc.com only?

Wink Re: Verisign certificates for MIDP 2.0 Nokia phones

Quote Originally Posted by bugbug
    Is the certificate bounded by server domain like an SSL cert? e.g. if I apply the cert with www.abc.com, should the midlets signed by this cert be downloaded from www.abc.com only?
    Signing a midlet also tells the user the midlet is really downloaded from that website, so the answer should be YES.
    But as I've read so many bad things on signed midlets, thant nothing is true at 100%