Discussion Board

How to get User Information of the Downloaded Midlet

How can i get the phone number of the user who the downloaded the Midlet .

Thanks in ADVANCE

URGENT PLEASE.

Super Contributor
    You can add an attribute to the jad file:
    Code:
    MIDlet-Install-Notify: http://some-url.com
    The specification states that if a phone downloads your MIDlet, the phone will make a post request to the url specified after installing the MIDlet. Then you might be able to extract the phone number (or some other identifying information) from the headers of that request (the headers are network dependant).

shmoove

I've played with this quite a bit and as far as I know there is no way to automatically get the phone number.

Best you can do is get them to enter it on the first run and then store that in the RMS and send it as a HTTP header to the server each time they connect

Thank u cdavies2000

Thank a lots for the RMS trick, but i how can i get phone number stored into RMS of user phone like how can an application take the phone number on the phone it has been installed.Do we have method to provoke intrenal of phone.

Thank you once again.

u can get user information such as mobile phone number from request header. i don't know if different mobile operation companies have different header name. but there must be a header name!

You can't get the phone no directly throu headers and the rms trick is also good only if the app hits the server again which is rare if ur developing some client only apps.

phone number

Your going to have to ask the user for the phone number and get them to enter it into a form or what ever and then store that it the rms. You will only need to do this once and once you have it it should stay constant for the life of the application. How often you send it as HTTP headers depends entirely on what you are doing with the client on the server and whether you have to know the phone number for what you are doing

thank u all

but is that really a header exsits which can do my job.please if any let me now.I am trying it day and night but not able to get it.

cdavies2000 i think that idea is good enough but how are the service provider able to grasp the details whenever a guy downloads a Game or Wallpaper from the site and charge him does they some equipment for that. I think it is totally on Headers from mobile device which makes HTTP request to server(Service provider)Is that i am Correct (Let now if wrong).

but its great that people are so supportive.

Actually my prj is developed a appliction that will siot on any phone.So what i do is first i have get his number for billing him,then get his phone features to send suitable Application file depending upon his device configuration(where i maintain an application built for each and every platform possible like Series60,40,30 and Mipd1.0,Midpo2.0 and soon)

is that my idea is good enough or i am going round about way please suggest your commnets on this.