Discussion Board

Display Bitmap/Message/Dialog on Screen Without Bringing App to Foreground

Hello everyone:

I'm a newbie to S60 App Development so pardon me if I do not phrase my question clearly.

I'm in the middle of developing an S60 application so that when it is sent to the background and the User presses some hotkeys my application's monitoring function will be turned on. And when the user presses the same hotkey combo again, the function is deactivated.

Now I've succeeded in capturing keyevents from the screen by using WindowGroup's CaptureKey() Function (all thanks to the folks from this Forum!!!) to activate the desired function. However, I also want to display some sort of message on the screen (while application still in background) so that the user gets a visual queue that the hotkey-activated function is really turned on. Something small, which does not block the entire screen. Idealy a small bitmap picture would be great.

So could this be done? How should I go about implementing such feature? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! :D
    Last edited by SymbieSRT; 2004-07-07 at 04:11.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    you could try global notes maybe.

Or make your own message window and try callign window z order to be 0 for it.

yucca

Hello Yucca thank you very much for your prompt response. I tried using CAknGlobalNote and it did achieve the effect I was looking for. However, one down side to this Dialog-style notification to the screen is that it may block other information dialogs (such as incoming phone call, low battery, etc...)

To sort of take my application's "user friendliness" to another level, I was hoping to be able to display a custom-made bitmap image to the screen (whilst my app still in background) drawn to the top-left or top-right area of the screen.

Could I achieve this type of effect by doing what you suggested about calling Window Z order?? Would this bring the entire app to the foreground? Would you mind elaborating ont this subject or let me know where I could find its related resources?

Any feedback is again greatly appreciated. :D

Cass

Nokia Developer Moderator
    hmmm. maybe you could try the floating window approach from FEPs. Just make a small container and position it in somewhere upper parts of the diaplay (to avoid blocking other screens). Basically it should work in a way that in its constructL function you call:

DrawableWindow()->SetOrdinalPosition(0,CoeWinPriorityFep);

yucca

I have got a good example from the phone to make my question more clear.

On the Nokia 3650 Phone (running S60 1.2), when a phone call comes in, not only does it diplay a cutsom dialog on the bottom of the screen, it also displays a small dialog icon on the top right corner of the screen. Is this done by making a custom sized container and doing:

DrawableWindow()->SetOrdinalPosition(0,CoeWinPriorityFep);

as you suggested? Thanks for your input in advance. :D

Cass

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

So... did you got it working? I'm facing the same problem.

TIA, nmnir.