Discussion Board

downloading java files via GPRS connection

Hi,
    I'm trying to make a WAP site, so that i can upload my java files and then download them using my nokia 3200 phone. i've managed to download images (.gif & .jpg) & tones (.mid), but i can't seem to download java files (.jar & .jad). i get an error "file format unknown".

if i do:

<a accesskey="1" href="files/image.jpg">image.jpg</a>

and download the link it works.

but if i do:

<a accesskey="1" href="files/test1.jar">test1.jar</a>

and download the link it says "file format unknown".

I feel like i've missed some fundamental point or something. what am i doing wrong?

Super Contributor
    You have to configure the correct MIME types on the server:

jar - application/java-archive
    jad - text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

shmoove

thanks mate! it works

i've noticed that it saves the files in the Games/Applications folder. and that i can't send these files to another nokia 3200 phone via the IrDa port like i can the images & ringtones. is there a way to get around this, like some how moving the .jar file from the games directory into the images directory then sending via Irda to anothern nokia phone. im guessing games & applications have been restricted in this way to prevent piracy (i.e. one person paying for a game, then sending to all his/her friends phones)?

reason i ask is im planning on making a very minimal, low-cost game/application (i.e. a demo/advert) that can be exchanged quickly & easily from phone to phone.

Super Contributor
    im guessing games & applications have been restricted in this way to prevent piracy
    Bingo.

shmoove