Discussion Board

Problem sending MMS message with smil in Nokia Connectivity Framework

Problem sending MMS message with smil in Nokia Connectivity Framework

When I send MMS message with just images to Nokia series 60 Phone Emulator via Nokia EAIF 2.1 Connectivity, it displayed fine, but if my message contains a smil, then I see this Java exception:

-----------------------------------------------------
    com.nokia.mobile.services.api.DriverException: Unsupported charset encoding [null] or not JVM charset encoding name. at com.nokia.mobile.services.driver.mms.eaif.MMSEncoder.encodeMessage(MMSEncoder.java:690) at com.nokia.phone.tool.framework.adapter.servicespecific.nmss_sdk_v2_1.FWMmsUtils_nmss.encodeMmmessage(Unknown Source) at com.nokia.phone.tool.framework.adapter.servicespecific.nmss_sdk_v2_1.FWMmscReceiver_nmss.doReceive(Unknown Source) at com.nokia.phone.tool.framework.adapter.interfaces.comm.FWReceiverBase.run(Unknown Source)
    -----------------------------------------------------

If I use NDS for MMS tools to send the same mms file, the same phone emulator display the message fine. Is there a bug in the Nokia Connectivity Framework? Or is it caused by my message being malformed? How can I work around it? I need it because the EAIF emulator does not display the MMS messages.

Thanks
    Angela

Regular Contributor
    Angela - you don't mention exactly how you are sending the messages - could you clarify? You are sending them "via Nokia EAIF 2.1 Connectivity", but from where? How do you create the message?

-paul / ForumNokia

I used Nokia Developer's Suite for MMS (NDS for MMS) to send message. I sent a default MMS example message named "worldcupupdate_withsmil.mms". In the user guide for NDS, it suggested to use EAIF emulator. But EAIF emulator doesn't display the message on a phone emulator like the Nokia Connectivity Framework does. That is why I chose to use the Nokia Connectivity Framework instead.

I got these problem resolved now because I have access to a real EAIF MMSC. One other thing I noticed is that for the example mms Nokia provided in NDS, the content ID MMS header is encoded as text and there is no quote character prefix for the content ID. These messages don't work with real MMSC. The real MMSC works with encoded content ID as "0xC0" with a quote (0x22) character added (which agree with the spec "WAP-203-WSP" section 8.4.2.1 )

The only problem I have right now is the question "HTTP response to EAIF Delivery Reports". It would be great if you can response to that question. Thanks.