Discussion Board

how can i correctly display some special characters coming from gsm modem?

hi everyone,
    I have a java program that reads and displays sms messages sent to a gsm modem connected to my pc. Many people are sending messages to this gsm modem. My problem is that my program fails to correctly display some special characters sent on the modem. Is there a way for me to fix this?

by the way i am using a nokia30 gsm modem,
    thanks for those who can help me

what commands??

hi,
    Iam trying to read the SMS messages sent to nokia30 using microcontroller.
    Please tell me what commands you are using in your java script.

Because iam usingAT+CMGR=1,but iam unable to read the messages.
    Please suggest,

regards,
    mamatha bj

hi mamatha,
    AT+CMGR=1 displays the first message, AT+CMGR=2 displays the second message, AT+CMGR=3 displays the third message, so on and so forth. If you are using AT+CMGR=1 and there are no messages displayed, there is probably no messages in '1'. Try AT+CMGL="ALL", this will display all the messages stored in SIM(by the way i do this using hyperterminal or minicom). If you want your nokia30 to automatically display the message once she recieved it, command AT+CNMI=2,2,0,0,0. If you are actually reading some messages and just dont know what those messages are (the messages are alien to you and you cant decipher what those code means) your modem is probably in PDU mode. You can change it from PDU mode to TEXT mode by commanding AT+CMGF=1. I hope this helps.