Discussion Board

the real UTC ( Universal Time )

All of the methods I've found so far in the SDK and in the forums deal with getting the UTC in relation to the time set on the phone. Unfortunately, the user can change the phone's time (or settings), so the UTC in this case is meaningless.

I'm trying to get the real UTC, i.e. from the network. Something that's always correct, regardless of user settings. A time that I can use as a reference point between two or more devices. Does anyone know how I can retrieve this? It doesn't have to be the UTC itself, so long as the network tells me GMT + an offset.

Again, I'm not looking for the locale information from the phone itself, nor the local time configured by the user. I want a standard network time, or reference time that somehow relates to the true Universal Time or GMT.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    I was looking for that for a short time and got an impression that it is behind non-public API ones again. Anyway you could make your own network server and ask the time from it quite easily.

yucca

can u people please reply my question at thread
    "How to send sms immediately" , i have solved it almost but it needs a litle help ....very little , please spare some time and help me .thanks

Yucca,

Unfortunately, querying an NTP server (whether it's mine or a public one) isn't ideal for me because of the network delay. I need to be accurate to about a millisecond if possible... a second at the worst. And I can't guarantee that the delay on a GPRS network is kept below this.

The Series60 phones I'm testing with (6600 and 3650) have an "Auto time update" feature in the user settings. If I turn that on, and then purposely change the system time, and restart the phone, it does indeed correct itself (apparently GSM networks do broadcast a synchronized clock signal somewhere, just like CDMA).

The interesting thing is that TLocale contains methods to get/set most of the settings except this one. I tried using
    Code:
    SetDeviceTime(TLocale::ENITZNetworkTimeSync)
    but it doesn't have an effect on this setting. Anyone know if an API exists? I've searched the code and SDK help... no luck. I can't believe getting a standard time code is so difficult.

Regular Contributor

Re: the real UTC ( Universal Time )

Hi telephia,

I have several point that I would like to share:

Auto Time Update from the Network: I never have seen this working here in Switzerland. I have done exactly like you descibed. (Alter Time, set Autotime update on, reboot phone) and with my 6630 with Sunrse SIM this does not work, even not after more than a day after the reboot.

Timeupdate with GPRS and NTP can be quite exact, even if the delays are long. We do this with good success. The precondition is, uplink and downlink travel time is approximately equal. Since you know the time you sent the ntp request and the time it arrived back on your phone (using local timer) you know the RTT. You assume that the time from the ntp server was issued after half the RTT. When you do this more than once, you can even average out the small differences from the single requests.

Hope this helps!

But I have another interesting thing. While my application runs, I observer system time changes ever half an hour. I can see it because one of my at-Timers gets KErrAbort'ed every 30 minutes. Sometimes the system time is changed up to 2 seconds to the past. Do you know something about this? Where does the phone the new time get? This happens also, when the phone does not have network connection (tests in the cellar proved this).

Any idea?

Thanks, Marcel

Re: the real UTC ( Universal Time )

I had a question about telephia and its business involvement in Brazil. Are you doing business there? I heard about a company that is offering Benchmark Testing and market Share Reprots for the wireless service providers in South America. The company is called Mobile Science. I heard through their VP of Sales, Mario Valentino, that they are getting much headway in getting new clients. Any thoughts on this?