Discussion Board

determining mobile phone's location

is it posible to determine the location of the mobile phone? if so how could i go about doing so? and how accurate would it pin point a mobile's location?

im on the vodafone network, and theres this Find & Seek service, which can determine the closest london underground station to me. so i was wondering how they did that.

*bump*

anyone know about this?

I am sure you must've heard about location based sercvice.
    The find and seek thing is one such service.

Each mobile phone keeps contact with a particular base station.
    As you move, your cell phone is handed over from one base station to another.

so Vodafone always knows which base station are you associated
    with at any point in time. Thats how it helps you detect your
    location.

Cheers!
    Sourabh

Regarding to mobile location service:

Not every operator supports location service. But there are some operators that do provide location service, especially CDMA operators, some GSM operators also provide it

Let us only talk about GSM technology for location service.

A well-positioned organization existed as the drivers of location interoperability called LIF (Location Inter-Operability Forum – www.locationforum.org). Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola, etc. are members. LIF is responsible to define a HTPP/XML API to users to access the location center (or server, or gateway) in the wireless infrastructure in order to get a mobile station’s location. Several versions of this API have been published. It is a simple interface.

The positioning accuracy is depended on what positioning technology the networking is using. Cell ID based positioning technology offers accuracy related to the cell size, the accuracy is not very good. Another technology is called E-ODT, which needs to put some positioning mechanism on the handset and is a handset based/network assistant technology. A couple years ago most major wireless equipment and handset companies put a lot of attentions on E-OTD system. Probably it can reach 100-300 meters accuracy. But right now it looks like E-OTD may not be a good candidate technology. The other positioning technology is Assistant-GPS. It is also a handset based/network assistant technology. The accuracy will meet most requirements.

Super Contributor
    Symbian C++ might be an option..pleas check it out..