Discussion Board

Bluetooth simulation in Connectivity Framework

Hi, I wanted to simulate bluetooth connection between Series 60 emulators without BT hardware. I installed Nokia Connectivity Framework v1.1 on my WinXP and activated the BT enviroment example, but the Series 60 1.2 and 2.0 emulators refuse to activate its (simulated) Bluetooth connection. The Bluetooth panel under main > Communications > Bluetooth is always blank or followed by system error.

I couldn't find any tutorial or documentation on this matter, please advise.
    Last edited by timkc; 2004-07-18 at 10:11.

Can Nokia Connectivity Framework be used to simulate Bluetooth connection for app. development without Bluetooth hardware? Any changes required to be made on emulator's configuration file?

Seppo or anyone out there who got it working, please share your experience. Thanks.

Here are some steps that could help you.

1) In NCF verify the COM port, which is used by Symbian BT emulators (Properties/Technology/DeviceName). Every emulator should have different COM port settings in NCF.

2) Open <path>\Epoc32\Wins\c\system\data\bt.esk, where <path> is the location where the SDK was installed.

3) For Series 60 SDK 1.2 for Symbian OS, Nokia Edition: hcidllfilename= hci.dll and port is DeviceName COM port-1 (e.g if DeviceName value is COM6 then the port value is 5)

4) For Series 60 SDK 2.0 for Symbian OS, Nokia Edition and Series 60 SDK 2.1 for Symbian OS, Nokia Edition: hcidllfilename= hci_h4.dll and port is DeviceName COM port-1 (e.g if DeviceName value is set to COM5 then the port value is 4).

Refer also: http://nds1.forum.nokia.com/nnds/For...ls_v1_0_en.pdf (page 15)

Those steps helped me, too, alot, thanks. However, I was not able to create a completely emulated BT connection.

Can I start two SDK 2.1 emulator instances within NCF 1.1 so that they appear as separate BT devices to each other? I'd like to run the BTPoint2Point example application so that it sends a message from one emulator to the other.

NCF shows in the SDK 2.1 product properties that it allows only a single instance, not multiple, and this setting cannot be changed. Does the other end of a BT connection need to be a real BT device?

I think it will be hard to get two instances of same S60 to running simultaneously because each of them would need their own com-port settings, etc.

The easiest way is to install another SDK like S60 2.0 in parallel to S60 2.1 and put them communicating with each others.

I have itself installed both S60 2.0 and S60 2.1 SDK's and at least for the the NCF shows that the default com/vcom port configured for the S60 2.0 is
    COM 6 and for S60 2.1 it is COM 7.

Therefore I needed to edit bt.esk files both from the S60 2.0 and S60 2.1 so
    that the COM port definitions matched
    with the COM port settings defined in the NCF.

For me the bt.esk files of 2.0 contains following
    hcidllfilename= hci_h4.dll
    port= 5

For S60 2.1 which uses COM 7 it contains following
    hcidllfilename= hci_h4.dll
    port= 6

When using BT between these emulators I have noticed that S60 2.1
    initializes bluetooth automatically.

In S60 2.0 it is opposite and I will always need to activate the bluetooth in that device separately. This can be done
    either by starting bt application or by going into Connections/bluetooth menu and turning bt on from there.

I set the Port and the dllFile name in the bt.esk file as recommended. But

1. In case of the Series 60 SDK 2.1 emulator, inside communication\bluetooth, it shows bluetooth as 'off'. On switching it to 'On' I get the message Unable to perform Bluetooth Operation.

2. In case of SD1.2 and SDK 2.0 inside communication\blutooth, it shows me the mesage 'Bluetooth:feature not supported.'

Has anyone else seen these ? could i be missing something ? please help.

Anoop

Re: Bluetooth simulation in Connectivity Framework

Hello,
    when I "Open NCF full..." it shows nothing, just a blank window, I see no controls for configuration with my Series 40 sixth Edition framework.

Can you help with this?

Quote Originally Posted by mark_u View Post
    Here are some steps that could help you.

1) In NCF verify the COM port, which is used by Symbian BT emulators (Properties/Technology/DeviceName). Every emulator should have different COM port settings in NCF.

2) Open <path>\Epoc32\Wins\c\system\data\bt.esk, where <path> is the location where the SDK was installed.

3) For Series 60 SDK 1.2 for Symbian OS, Nokia Edition: hcidllfilename= hci.dll and port is DeviceName COM port-1 (e.g if DeviceName value is COM6 then the port value is 5)

4) For Series 60 SDK 2.0 for Symbian OS, Nokia Edition and Series 60 SDK 2.1 for Symbian OS, Nokia Edition: hcidllfilename= hci_h4.dll and port is DeviceName COM port-1 (e.g if DeviceName value is set to COM5 then the port value is 4).

Refer also: http://nds1.forum.nokia.com/nnds/For...ls_v1_0_en.pdf (page 15)