Discussion Board

Some questions about J2ME

Hello,

I am doing some search concerning the smartphone's programming languages C++, .NET, Java...

I have found the answers to almost all the questions I had. They were mainly concerning telephony, messaging and phone/SIM interraction. I was wondering if some of you could either correct or add some comments on theses few questions:

1 - Is there a way to send/receive "quietly" (without user notification: noise/text) SMS?
    Wireless Messaging API (JSR-120 ) is needed.
    From what i have seen it is possible to send SMS "quietly" but only if the MIDlet is signed
    For receiving, Push architecture is needed to launch the MIDlet if it is not so the fist limitation is a MIDP-2.0 phone. It also seems necessary to have the MIDlet signed to be trusted from the phone.

2 - Is there a way to make a MIDlet initiate a phone call?
    It seems that it is not and won't be implemented in MIDP. maybe there is an other way to do it, but I have not heard about it.

3 - Interraction with the SIM card: directly sending commands to the SIM (like client/server application) or simply sending APDU
    It seems the Security and Trust Services API (JSR-177) is here to fill this lack at least for the client/server application.

Thanks in advance for your remarks & suggestions.

Regards,
    Bruno
    Last edited by bboissard; 2004-07-20 at 15:28.

Super Contributor
    Dear Bruno ....

As it seems u have done your research ...

now going by question Nos ..

1. In J2Me your observation is right ... nothing more can be added to it (as far as i know)

2. In J2ME it is not possible to play with telephony ...It is possisble through Symbian C++ ..which is done through etel.h

3.Friend dont rely on JSR 177 ... becoz it still does not talk about communication with SIM ......

regards
    Amit

Hi Bruno,

Regarding your second query for making Telephone calls there are no APIs in java that support Telephony. In Symbian C++ this is possible using ETel APIs.....

Cheers,
    Viyom

For point 1, can a code signing cert from Verisign or thawte be used to sign a midlet so that it can be waken up by SMS quietly?

Super Contributor
    for the same u could do well to check out push registry..coz i believe u can register on it..and invoke the things based on some action..sms in yur case.
    ciao