Discussion Board

JSR 179 location API for Linux ?

Hi,
    wonder if this is the right forum to be posting this...

I've found the binary to download and install the jsr 179 location api but it is just for windows, i.e
    it has a .exe file that hadles installation and setup.
    Is there one for linux?

also ,correct me if i'm wrong in thinking that this location api will provide me with functions to program a midlet that can track its own position,using either cell towers as reference points or GPS if the device supports it.

Thanks in advance
    Carl

Super Contributor
    can u please share the link for the binary or send the same to my email id..no_probs_pal@yahoo.com..would help a tonne
    ciao

The RI only works for Windows (2000, possibly XP). But since it is 100% Java, it might be possible to extract the JAR file and incorporate in some environment on Linux.

Unfortunately, if you don't have an environment where you can load libraries to be used in your execution environment, you must get hold of the CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0 sources and build your own executable, into which the JSR-179 classes can be ROMized. As Nokia's release notes indicate, though, this is not trivial.

You can use the JSR-179 RI to compile and test location-based MIDlets in whatever way your target device supports. But the RI itself only comes with built-in support for retrieving coordinates from a GPS receiver.