Discussion Board

Schedule Midlet Invocation

Hi,
    I am trying to make an app that acts like an alarm... i.e. you set the date and time and exit the app... at that particular time/date the app will alert you (by showing up on screen & setting the vibrator on).
    My problem is that to do this I need to have my midlet running all the while (don't i?), which i don't want... or find a way to have it run as a service/daemon... or find a way to have it invoked automatically at that particular time.

can this be done?

Thanks in advance for you help
    Partho

In MIDP 2.0 you can register an 'alarm' using PushRegistry.registerAlarm() which will cause the specified MIDlet to be launched at the specified time.

See the MIDP 2.0 Javadoc for further details

simon

Hi Simon,
    Thanks for your reply. I should've mentioned that I need to do it in MIDP1.0... specifically for Nokia n-gage (or maybe extend it to series 60 phones)
    I have seen two of Nokia's SDK's... one for 7210 and the one for Series 60 Symbian based devices.
    The first one contains a class called MIDletManager which has a function declared as 'RegisterTimer(MIDlet, Timer)'. This is in a sub package impl. My problem is that the class is protected and I could find no (I searched GOOGLE and Nokia) documentation.
    The second SDK has a symbian specific package which has a class called ThreadExtensions which has a function defined 'setDaemon(Thread, Boolean)'. One again no documentation.
    I was hoping someone could guide me a bit about these packages or direct me to some kinda reference docs for them.

thanks again for your reply,
    P

I don't know about MIDletManager but I can tell you that ThreadExtensions.setDaemon() does absolutely nothing

simon