Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Cell information-Cell id & location string

hi..
    with Symbian i am able to retrieve the cell id and the network strength..but i am not able to get the location string that is displayed on the mobile..something like the location the mobile is currently in..i would like to retrieve that information so that i can use the same for providing location based services.
    1.what classes/api are needed for that information?
    2.what hardware is required to be installed on the mobile for The information?
    3. Does anyone have a sample code to retrieve the information i am looking for?
    Regards

Regular Contributor

Question Re: Cell information-Cell id & location string

Hi,
    The same thing I want to get from Symbian v8.0a S60 2nd edition FP2 phones (like Nokia 6630). i want to get the CELL ID using some symbian c++ api, for that Mobinfo lib is needed. just tell me how can i get the cell id from this gsm phone using symbian c++. I have the SDK and thinking which IDE should I use, whether MS Visual Studio or Carbide.c++? Is there any integration to be done between the IDE and SDK so that the APIs can be used while development using c++?

plz give me some pointers and code snippet to fetch the cell id for this particular type of device...
    regads,
    sanjay

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Cell information-Cell id & location string

If I remember right, you would need symbian owned non-public APIs for getting the Cell Id in 2nd edition devices.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Yucca,
    i have the Mobinfo signed zip file which contains some dlls,libs, headers and some other type of files. Can I use them to develop on S60 2nd ed FP2 Symbian v8.0a phones to get the Cell ID? i am using C++ as the dev language with Carbide IDE. Is it ok or should I use any other IDE...

Thanks a lot..
    sanjay

Nokia Developer Moderator

you should propably chekc that from the original authors pages, I actually have never used Mobinfo.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SanjayKhuntia View Post
    Thanks Yucca,
    i have the Mobinfo signed zip file which contains some dlls,libs, headers and some other type of files. Can I use them to develop on S60 2nd ed FP2 Symbian v8.0a phones to get the Cell ID? i am using C++ as the dev language with Carbide IDE. Is it ok or should I use any other IDE...

Thanks a lot..
    sanjay
    Yes, you can of course use it. Just search for "MobInfo" in this discussion boards. You would end up with having some workable code.

IDE is just for development. It doesn't have to do with API and etc... You can use Notepad if you wish.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team