Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Multilanguage .sis

I'm having problems with multilanguage .sis generation. The development environment is set up correctly, I can create single language .sis files without the slightest problem. With a multilanguage .pkg file the building process also finishes without any error (so, the .pkg has no syntax errors) but the language dependent files go into the wrong directories inside the .sis, or have wrong names or have wrong contents (I'm examining the .sis with the Total Commander viewer plugin but they don't work on the phone, either).

So, I'm looking for someone with actual multilanguage .sis experience who could take a look at my files to help find out what goes wrong.

Thanks,
    Gabriel

Nokia Developer Moderator
    maybe there is something wrong in your pkg file. Might help if you could post it here as well, so people who know could have a look into it.

yucca

Regular Contributor
    Here it is (the NC at the end of the SIS file header is there so that I can browse the .sis file, I don't use it normally but it doesn't make any difference as far as my problem is concerned).

The .sis file will have two directories, Hungarian and UK English. The !: directory inside both will contain the system\apps and system\help files all right. However, the Dialogs directories, although they will have one file each, won't contain the license text but some random garbage. The language dependent resource files will appear in a separate, Unknown type directory and they won't contain the correct data, either (this Unknown type is probably created by the .sis file viewer plugin when it sees data chunks it can't interpret).

Code:
    ; Language - standard language definitions
    &EN,HU

; standard SIS file header
    #{"OrgaCalc", "OrgaCalc"},(0x101FF8B6),1,0,0,NC

; Supports Series 60 v 0.9
    (0x101F6F88), 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID", "Series60ProductID"}

; Welcome text and license agreement
    {
    "Resource\License.t01"
    "Resource\License.t17"
    }-"", FILETEXT, TEXTEXIT

; Files to install
    {
    "OrgaCalc.r01"
    "OrgaCalc.r17"
    }-"!:\system\apps\OrgaCalc\OrgaCalc.rsc"

{
    "OrgaCalc_caption.r01"
    "OrgaCalc_caption.r17"
    }-"!:\system\apps\OrgaCalc\OrgaCalc_caption.rsc"

{
    "Help\OrgaCalc.h01"
    "Help\OrgaCalc.h17"
    }-"!:\system\help\OrgaCalc.hlp"

"OrgaCalc.app"-"!:\system\apps\OrgaCalc\OrgaCalc.app"
    "OrgaCalc.aif"-"!:\system\apps\OrgaCalc\OrgaCalc.aif"
    Thanks,
    Gabriel

I haven't done this for a long time, but have to say that it looks completely ok to me. Maybe there is something wrong with your building sequence.... just a wild quess.

yucca

Regular Contributor
    I now tried UnMakeSIS: this seems to be more reliable than the Total Commander viewer plugin. As far as I can tell, I can create a .sis that seems all right in UnMakeSIS, yet it doesn't offer any language choice when installed on the phone. It will simply be installed with the English resources. Apart from that, it works.

Thanks,
    Gabriel

try without english, trying to non-english languages I mean, maybe it will show the language selection then. Or you could try defining Hu before En etc., just play around and see how it behaves.

BTW what is the language options in your phone ?

yucca

Regular Contributor
    I've just realized it ten minutes ago that I'm not supposed to get language options during installation, it is supposed to use alternative languages if the phone is set to one of the languages in the .sis. Bother, I don't think this is a good solution, first, I would rather leave to my users to decide what language they want, even if this isn't the same as the one they use in their phones. Second, this makes testing really awkward, restarting your phone for a new language is not something you want to do all day long... :-))

I have my phone set to English, I never liked the localized text (partly because Hungarian tends to use longer and compound words and this means lots of strange and, sometimes, questionable abbreviations to make the translated text fit into the small room available).

Is there any way to set the emulator to another language so that I can test the multilingual application there? I started to look it up in the documentation but no luck yet.

Bye,
    Gabriel