Discussion Board

Symbian support true Font ?

Dear everybody,
    I would like to ask you 2 question :
    - does Symbian support true font ?
    - If not what kind of font does it support?
    Thank you,
    Teddy Kim

Super Contributor
    kim didnt u read the SDK and the classes i had suggested to u in the other thread posted by you..did it not answer yur questions?
    ciao

Super Contributor
    Font utilities
    Description
    In addition to the font utilities provided by CCoeEnv, GUI applications can access many others which are provided by CEikEnv.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NormalFont()
    const CFont* NormalFont() const;
    Description
    Gets the normal environment font.

This is the font created during construction of the control environment.

Return value
    CFont* Pointer to the normal environment font.

See also:
    InitSystemFontsL()

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CreateDeviceFontL()
    CFbsFont* CreateDeviceFontL(CGraphicsDevice* aDevice,const TFontSpec& aFontSpec);
    Description
    Creates a font for the specified graphics device.

If you wish to use the default screen device as the graphics device, use CreateScreenFontL() instead of this function.

This function calls GetNearestFontInTwips() on the graphics device given by aDevice, passing it the font defined by aFontSpec.

All fonts should be released, using MGraphicsDeviceMap::ReleaseFont(), when they are no longer required.

Parameters
    CGraphicsDevice* aDevice The graphics device for which to create the font.

const TFontSpec& aFontSpec The font specification.

Return value
    CFbsFont* The new font.

CreateScreenFontL()
    CFbsFont* CreateScreenFontL(const TFontSpec& aFontSpec);
    Description
    Creates a font for the default graphics device, based on the specified TFontSpec.

This function calls CreateDeviceFontL() passing the default screen device, owned by this CCoeEnv, as the value for the graphics device for which to create the font. All fonts created using this function should be released using ReleaseScreenFont() when they are no longer required.

Parameters
    const TFontSpec& aFontSpec The font specification.

Return value
    CFbsFont* The font.

ReleaseScreenFont()
    void ReleaseScreenFont(CFont* aFont) const;
    Description
    Frees all resources used by the font.

This function should be used to release a font when the font is no longer required. Fonts are created using CreateScreenFontL().

Parameters
    CFont* aFont The font to be released

this is from the SDK..does it help..??
    ciao

Thank for your helping , Mayankkedia, I already read the article of BDF specification, but I don't know where should I write that code? Could you help me about this problem.
    Thx you again,
    Teddy Kim

you can search in google for free bdf font. You can find some as it is also used in linux. And so, you know the way to make yr own bdf. And then you could complie bdf to sysmbian gdr using the tools provided by symbian.

Wah

i feel symbian supprts .ttf fonts , comments ?

TTF font support

The FreeType library will allow you to use truetype fonts on Symbian. You can find more information at this link:
    http://www.symbian.com/developer/dev...t/syslibs.html

If you install that DLL then you should be able to load TTF fonts. I don't remember exactly how to load them but take a look at the COpenFont classes in the SDK documentation.

Also, you may want to check out this thread that talks about the freetype library on the 7650.

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...%2Afreetype%2A

If you need help figuring out how to load the TTF then I can probably dig something up next week.

Good luck.

No it wont

On more recent phones, e.g. 6600 it doesnt appear to install. (the version from Symbian's website)

And if you install a known-good version of the DLL (e.g. from the DevKit) it works on the Emulator but not on the device.

Nokia, any reason for this?
    Last edited by hamishw; 2005-04-10 at 02:23.