Discussion Board

How to communicate with an external server/application on Windows box?

Am trying to get into Symbian development, and have an idea for an app I'd like to design. It involves writing a custom server in c++, and the phone sending information to the server, the server does some processing and sends back a reply. At the moment this is just for presenting an idea, so I dont mind if it goes over bluetooth, gprs, etc.

Anyone know what protocols in the standard c++ library I use to code the server so it can send/receive with the client? I understand the server cant initiate a connection to the client, unless some kind of push technology is used? The server will be a seperate c++ application running on a Windows box.

Also, it would be extremely usefull to be able to demonstrate this entirely on a laptop, by running the program on the S60 2.0 emulator, and running the server in the background and having those two communicate.

Anybody got any ideas on how all this could be done? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    check the socket example for GPRS connections. For BT there is few examples also included in Nokia's Series 60 SDKs.

In case you want server to start connection, you basically need some sort of push mechanism as you stated, but basically you could make this by sending normal SMS that you applications processes and knoes to start connections when it arrives.

yucca

Thanks for the swift response yucca. I havent looked at the socket example in details yet, but I thought that assumed one phone was a server and one phone was a client? I am looking for information on how to code a c++ app in Windows that acts as the server if you know what I mean. Do I just need to initiate a TCP/IP session on the same port in the c++ app and the Symbian phone client app?