Discussion Board

Question about migrating from .NET to CodeWarrior

Hi, *.*

My OS is Win2K Pro. I have successfully built the development environment using Nokia S60 Symbian SDK 2.1 for .NET and Visual Studio .NET. So I can run the example program HELLOWORLDBASIC and start the emulator EPOC.exe to see what happens.

Now I want to build the developping environment using Nokia S60 Symbian SDK 2.1 for CW and CodeWarrior for Symbian Pro v2.5(CW for short). First of all, I uninstall Nokia S60 Symbian SDK 2.1 for .NET. Then install Nokia S60 Symbian SDK 2.1 for CW in drive C. The absolute directory of "epoc32" is "C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v21_CW\Epoc32". Environment variable EPOCROOT is set to "\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v21_CW\". And add "c:\symbian\7.0s\Series60_v21_CW\epoc32\tools;c:\symbian\7.0s\Series60_v21_CW\epoc32\gcc\bin" to the environment variable PATH. Secondly, install CodeWarrior for Symbian Pro v2.5.

Now I try to run "helloworldbasic". When importing helloworldbasic.mmp using CW, warning message appears as follow:
    Duplicate file EDLL.LIB?removed from group libraries:ARMI?
    Duplicate file EDLLSTUB.LIB?removed from group libraries:ARMI?
    Duplicate file EGCC.LIB?removed from group libraries:ARMI?
    Duplicate file EDLL.LIB?removed from group libraries:THUMB?
    Duplicate file EDLLSTUB.LIB?removed from group libraries:THUMB?
    Duplicate file EGCC.LIB?removed from group libraries:THUMB?

Go on compiling, error message said:
    Unable to call the command line tool. Check your PATH environment variable.
    COmpile failed.

In fact, when building the developping environment using .NET + SDK for .NET, I setup the PATH just like now, the only difference is the directory is "Series60_v21" instend of "Series60_v21_CW".

Can you help to correct this error? What should PATH environment be set?

Thanks in advance.

For CW you do not need to set the EPOCROOT variable, they do not use it and the warning messages you are seeing are related to files that get added to the project by the SDK script files that are already defined in the .mmp. This can be ignored.

I would suggest that you remove the EPOCROOT entry and check that your CW build tools are available, from a prompt enter "mwccsym2", you should see the compiler version info which means you environment is set. There is also a utility in the CW bin directory, cw_env_update.exe I think, that will check your environment and update any missing entries for you.

Hope this helps.

The env variables for both CW and the SDK should be setup for you automatically when you install them.

It sounds like the error you are getting is that it cannot find mwccsym2.exe in the path. If you run the env_update.exe tool in the CW bin directory it should update the env variables for you.

Thank you for the useful advice.

D:\Program Files\Metrowerks\CodeWarrior for Symbian Pro v2.5\bin>env_update.exe

Fatal error. Unable to get current directory.

Press any key to exit.

D:\Program Files\Metrowerks\CodeWarrior for Symbian Pro v2.5\bin>

It seems that my directory name is too long?