Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Possible to send file via SMS?

I've been reading the Nokia docs, and I *think* this is possible...at least I hope so. Is it possible to send an SMS message containing a file which can be launched by the Messages application on a 3650 or similar phone? In this case, the file contains an RTSP URL, which I want to be opened by RealOne (or Helix) Player.

The best way to illustrate what I mean is that if I make a file containing "rtsp://216.145.9.10:554/wtg-realmobile-8k/webtalk-8-28-2004-8k.rm", and I call that file "foo.ram", I can send that file to my 3650 via Bluetooth, and it will show up in Messages. If I try to open that message, Real immediately opens and plays the stream.

That's exactly what I want, but I want the file to arrive via SMS, rather than Bluetooth. Is there a way to format a text or binary SMS message so that the phone realizes it has received a file, rather than a text message or a known smart message type? I feel like the answer should be yes, but I can't quite figure out how.

I don't think MMS is an option because Java on the 3650 (which is what my app is written in) doesn't support it. Can it be done with SMS alone?

Thanks for any help,
    Ivan Drucker

Re: Possible to send file via SMS?

Try this program, it's sending file to you phone, from computer via sms
    http://pimpedoutpdas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

Quote Originally Posted by Pimped Boy View Post
    Try this program, it's sending file to you phone, from computer via sms
    http://pimpedoutpdas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23
    Link not working..
    Re upload..

Nokia Developer Moderator

The link is fine, however the site doesn't exist any more. Nor does such file over SMS solution for that matter
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

If you send a file as SMS, your options are:

- send a link

- send the file in 140 byte parts (maximum "payload" of a single SMS) + overhead for counting parts, possibly checksums, etc. Note that the receiving device has to have an application that knows how to re-assemble all those SMS messages and decode them as a file, too. Note also that depending on the network, it might cost you a bundle and in the worst countries (like USA, it might also cost for the person to receive those messages).