Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Better integration with VC

Hi,

After making a few test apps with the series 60 2.1 SDK on VC 6, I started making my real app.

I must say I'm disappointed with the poor integration with visual studio. The thing with the make files, perl and other stuff makes things hard to work with.
    I realize it's sometimes the best way to go (and it could be so in this case), but the whole process of creating them and updating them is extremely annoying.

I know VC has a much better integration capability with other platforms and compilers. You can do quite a lot with it. It's a shame no one uses it.

I though about putting our heads together to try to solve this issue, so that things will be easier to work with.

Any ideas?

Yaron Tadmor

Super Contributor
    Hi friend ..

As the time is passing , Symbian is reducing the support for VC .
    Already Metrowerks and Borland are preferred choise .
    Why VC is still there for symbian just because most of the C++ developers have used it and feel comfortable with it .

I think urs is a wonderful idea where in people who have used it pool in their knowledge and make a respository kind of thing where in all the answers relating to VC with SYmbian can be found .

Problem with integration

Friends i do have the same problem.I have installed Series 60 SDK version 2.1 and i am not able to integrate it with VC++ IDE.I do not find any AvkonAppWiz.awx file which can add an appwizard in the VC++ IDE.If you have any idea then kindly help me in integration.

Regular Contributor
    Kumar,

The 2.1 SDK doesn't have the wizard. Only the 2.0 has it, so you'll need to DL it and install it as well.
    Although it's also not the hottest thing I've come across.

Everyone,
    Shame that Symbian doesn't support VC, I guess it's true that we're all used to it.
    1) How's the borland and metrowerks SDKs? Are they easy to work with and understand? I'm more then willing to change my IDE if I can develope my app quickly and easily.
    2) Are there any other SDK's for Symbian, except for the nokia stuff.
    3) I'm going to search the net for some more info, if all else fails, I'll probably find myself rewritng nokia's makefile to something that makes more sense, and post it for your opinion.

Yaron

Nokia Developer Moderator
    I found borland BuilderX very-very slow, basically completely un-usable with laptops. Only great thing with it that it comes with target debugging (thou is doesn't work correctly nearly ever when I really would need it to)

Metrowerks is nearly excellent, it makes it so easy to find class definitions and see inheritance diagrams. Basically haven't needed to do any manual header search with it anymore. Current problems (home they are solved with novembers 2.8 release) are with DLL freezing and sometimes some parts of the code will not build for release versions.

Anyway, nokia bought Codewarrior, so it is going to be the future choice, so better get used to it, before it is the only choice left.

yucca

Super Contributor
    I'm still using MS VC++, but time is running out and sooner or later everyone will be "forced" to switch. Nokia really seems to be supporting mainly Codewarrior (I've been using it for PalmOS development and it's not all bad..:-)
    It lacks one thing that can play some important role in the future, and which is addressed in Borland's Builder: some easy "drag and drop" tool for creating GUIs. I played a little bit with BuilderX some time ago and if the guys from Borland will continue working on it, we can expect pretty powerfull tool...

btw Yucca, I've never experienced any problems with "slowness" of BuilderX on my notebook in comparison with other similar tools, so maybe it is just a problem of your version of MS Windows, clashes with some other installed apps, etc...:-)

Regular Contributor
    I also haven't had problems with the performance of CBX. I have a Celeron-2.6 laptop running WIn2k SP4 and it's fine. Except last night it was very very slow, but I suspect something else was to blame.