Discussion Board

Nokia 6310i bluetooth link with Sony laptop

Where to start?

Has anyone been able to succesfully get a Bluetooth link between a Nokia 6310i and a Sony PCG-SRX41P (with built in Bluetooth).

The saga so far:
    I bought my Sony (running XP Pro) about a month ago knowing that I was soon to get a Nokia 6310i. I tried to use the Bluespace software that came with the Sony. It succesfully detected the phone, but crashed every time I did a ?service search?. I then downloaded ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/vaio/bluespace/Bluespace_2280_UK.exe and replaced my existing version of Bluespace with this newone. I am now running version 2.1.1.03310 of Bluespace. This successfully does a service search for my phone and comes up with connections for fax, serial and modem.

The newer version of Bluespace also included updated Bluetooth drivers. These were installed for com port 5, 6 and 7 and USB Bluetooth driver(CSR). This resulted in the following divers being present on my PC:

Bluetooth Virtual COM5 (and COM6 and COM7)

Device type: Bluetooth Port
    Manufacturer: ALPS
    Driver Provider: UGT
    Driver Date: 15/08/2001
    Driver Version: 1.0.0.0
    Driver files: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\oiivcomu.sys
    Provider: OpenInterface Inc.
    File Version 2.009

USB Bluetooth driver(CSR)

Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Manufacturer: ALPS
    Driver Provider: UGT
    Driver Date: 15/08/2001
    Driver Version: 1.0.0.0
    Driver files: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\OIIBTUSB.sys
    File Version 2.026
    Driver files: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\oiind2ku.sys
    File Version 2.0.0.3
    Driver files: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\oiivcomu.sys
    File Version 2.009

I have serial set to Com5 and fax/modem set to Com6. These ports appear in my hardware device manager under Bluetooth ports. I can connect to the phone using com5 and Hyperterminal and sending ?AT? commands with the correct responses; if I use ATDT I can get the phone to dial a number.

Now I started to install the Nokia software. I started with Nokia PC Suite from the CD that came with the phone. During the install I told it that I was connecting with a cable (I do not have a DLT-4 card, and it is a serial port after all). The installed failed to find my phone. I then download the latest version of PC Suite (4.81) from Nokia. This now successfully detects my phone (on Com5) during the installation, but will not detect it later on when I am running the PC Suite.

Undeterred I carried on with the Nokia modem software, again this would not detect my phone at installation time until I upgraded it from the Nokia website. I now try to install the modem on com5 or com6 and get the message:

?Windows was unable to register the modem ?Nokia 6310i (Cable)? on Com5.?

Some much for Bluetooth being easy. Can anyone help? I do not know what to do next, or where the problem really is. I am sure that Nokia, Sony and Microsoft will all just blame each other.

I am the first person ever to try this???? Has anyone else managed this??

Thanks.

mikecrouch@bankingautomation.co.uk

RE: Nokia 6310i bluetooth link with Sony laptop

Hi Mike,

I have a similar setup since a few days ago. A Sony SRX51 running WXP and a Nokia 6310i.

I managed to get the Modem installed and can operate a GPRS Internet connection thru it, yet the PC Suite's Connection Manager fails to recognize the virtual port.

Did you, or anybody else, get to a workaround if not a solution yet ?

Thanks in advance, Tony