Discussion Board

RE: Own telephone number from app on Nokia 7650

I am also eager to know how to get the local telephone number. But as I know, there is no API to get the local mobile telephone number. If you get any progress in this issue, please let me know. My mail is: gekecn@sina.com

Regular Contributor

RE: Own telephone number from app on Nokia 7650

Unfortunately there is no public API that can be used to get the current phone number you SIM uses.

However, to identify users, you can use IMEI code. IMEI code is unique to every phone. To get it, call
    PlpVariant::GetMachineIdL(TPlpVariantMachineId &aId);

Remember to include PLPVARIANT.H in your source code and add plpvariant.lib in the MMP file.

Eero
    Forum Nokia

Own telephone number from app on Nokia 7650

Hi
    I need a way to uniquely identify users on the server so I am thinking about using their telephone numbers as a solution. I have an agent on the device which suppose to send the number to the server. But browsing docs does not answer the question: Which API shall I use to get the Mobile Station's telephone number on the device itself?

Thanks in advance

Andrey

P.S Please excuse my English as I am not a native speaker.

Is there any way instead to receive the SIM ID or the msisdn of the SIM.

Hi.

Is there any way, instead of this, to receive the SIM ID or the msisdn of the SIM.
    Thanks,

Moshe Dgani

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi

I read from some older posts that the basic reason why you can't get the MSISDN from the SIM card is that it is not there, meaning that it is not physically located anywhere in SIM, but only in operators network.

I'm quite sure that this it truth as well, since I remember thet my GSM number was changed ones without any need for changing the SIM card.

yucca

Hi,
    but some ID must SIM have anyway, how user identify himself in operator network?

regards,
    urx.

IMSI and IMEI

For every SIM there at least one IMSI,
    as there is IMEI for every phone.

International Mobile Subscriber Identity = IMSI
    International Mobile Equipment Identity = IMEI

( NOTE! for newer generation of sims or so called dual imsi sims there might be several IMSI:s but they are handled as two indivual sims packed to one in the network)

So how does the user identify himself in the operator network? First the operator orders a pack of sims, then he codes them with appropriate IMSI:s, then when you get one of these SIM and select some number they will say they will open the account and they do it by adding some rows to a database called HLR exempli gratia the lines which state that your IMSI has currently this MSISDN. For security reasons IMSI:s are really sent to GSM network only on attach as your power up your phone, and after that certain tokens are used which GSM network entities can use to know its you.

So the answers operator networks generates tokens that refer to your IMSI which is bound to some MSISDN( one or more ).

You can check your IMSI with certain low level headers, I quess etelagsm.h might do the trick as etelbgsm.h is the header which has power over some low level terminal staff. etelagsm.h is legendary rare in public and you could try some russian hacker site to find if it even exists.

You can also try to hack your SIM card itself get a good oscilloscope and go on

But I suggest for your to read some GSM tutorials and SIM/IMSI faqs ( ref: Google ) and you don't have to quess anymore.

Hi!
    I searched info about etelagsm.h and in some forums said it is included in "Nokia 9200 Communicator Series SDK for Symbian OS" prior to version 0.1. So where to get SDK v.0.09 example?

regards,
    urx.

etelagsm.h

A Fellow Finn IT Expert answered this question in another thread so send the thanks to him....

---clip----clip---clip---clip---clip---clip---clip---clip---clip---clip---

Get etelagsm.h from Sendo
    Hi

Sendo has licensed the Series 60 SDK from Nokia and are distributing it as well. The difference is, they have included a lot more header files :-), including etelagsm.h.

Get the SDK from them, copy the header files to the Nokia installation and off you go. Start from http://www.sendo.com/dev/index.asp

Caveat: of course they may have done modifications to the platform so not all headers are guaranteed to work. In the case of CAdvGsmPhone etc. the .LIB files are identical so they haven't made any changes there.

Mika Raento