Discussion Board

Why develop in Symbian C++?

Hi, I am currently studing J2ME programming in school.

I have heard from numerous friends that Symbian C++ should be the way to go for more control and advanced features.

I will like to know, is it true that Symbian C++ can do ANYTHING? Such as accessing the native filesystem / gallery of the phone?

What are some of the things that J2ME is not capable of, but can be implemented if Symbian C++ is utilized?

If I already know C++, is it a breeze to take up Symbian C++?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

With J2ME you can't get/use all devices functionallity, e.g. there is no Camera, get IMEI, access files in the devices, and so many more that Symbian can but J2ME can't. I think not difficult for you if you want to learn Symbian if you have C++ basic .

BR

Win

Then how do I go about learning Symbian C++? Books?

Regular Contributor
    First download the SDK from this website, if you want you can buy "Developing Series 60 Applications" by "Leigh Edwards, Richard Barker, EMCC Software Ltd.". You can learn from books, this forum (or other forum like NewLC), help and examples included in the SDK .

Super Contributor
    there are a lot of good books from nokia press also..that u can have a look at..and lot of threads in the forums which talk about java v/s C++.u can search and find a lot of material for the same..
    ciao

Super Contributor
    I feel that the best way to start is to download the SDK .
    U get a good documentation and Example code with it .

Then there are some good start up tutorials in www.Newlc.com
    and forum.nokia.com

and side by side u can refer the book mentioned by WIN for Series 60 and a Book called "Symbian OS C++ for Mobile Phones " VOlume 2 by Richard Harisson

Regular Contributor
    I would tend to agree - get the SDK and sample applications. I got my application working from this information, and from the newsgroups and sites like this one and NewLC, and bought a couple of books later on for the 'fiddly' bits.

Super Contributor
    I'm a little bit reluctant to say this (as I'm C++ programmer myself) but MIDP seems to be getting a ground on Symbian powered phones... It is possible to do more and more stuff with this with better and better performance...

Super Contributor
    Hi Sopta .
    Here i disagree with u a little .
    I agree to one thing that Java is becoming powerful day by day ( API;s persay)
    But it is still lagging behind C++..
    Why people use it becasue it is much easier to learn and use and roll out time of application is less while in C++ it is difficult and takes time.

I still feel that for currents environment C++ is better if u have specific platform in mind else Java is better.

Super Contributor
    also i feel with C++ u would get better performance coz it is a native language..actually the whole argument shapes up in diff ways for diff background people..and needs also..for instance apps like gaming and all could be done very easy with J2ME while anything that needs to communicate to the machine needs to use C++..
    yes j2me is getting stronger each day and someday it will reach or even surpass c++...that would be a programmer's joy..till then..
    ciao

Regular Contributor
    My problem with writing commercial apps in Java is that it is very easy to 'uncompile' them, making it too easy for an unscrupulous user to extract data or algorithms that I'd prefer to keep private. How do others deal with that?

Super Contributor
    i would also like to know more on this one..coz lot of people have complained about this one.
    ciao

Have you tried using an obfuscator? There're many out there...
    not impossible to decompile, but harder.