Discussion Board

Sending MMS to WAP 2.0 phones

Hi,

We have developed a service that accepts requests from our clients to send MMS to their mobile phones.

Basically, we compose and encode the MMS as a m-retrieve-conf message according to the WSP specification and store it on our server. Then we send a m-notification-ind message via SMS to the target phones. So this scheme bypasses the target MMSC.

Now for most mobile phones that use WAP 1.2.1, this scheme works fine. The phones have the GPRS sign fired up and then the MMS is retrieved via the WAP gateway of their operators.

But we have problem using the same scheme to send MMS to mobile phones such as Nokia's 6600 and 6230. The GPRS sign still shows up but then disappears without retrieving the MMS.

We realise that these phones (6600, 6230) use WAP 2.0 and by using WAP 2.0, they talk W-HTTP/HTTP with the MMSC (maybe via proxies in between) instead of WSP via WAP gateway. So I have the following questions regarding the failure of sending MMS to these phones using our scheme:

1) Is it because that these phones talk W-HTTP instead of WSP that they don't understand the WSP-encoded MMS stored on our server?

2) If 1) above is the case, is there some HTTP version of MMS that we can compose and store on our server that can be retrieved and understood by these phones?

3) Otherwise, is it because that WAP gateway was not used that the phones cannot find the URL that points to the MMS stored on our server? Will the MMSC/proxies do the same job of the WAP gateway that retrieves the MMS and sends it to the phones?

4) Or, is it because that these phones can only talk HTTP to the MMSC that we bypass and the MMSC has no idea about the MMS waiting on our server and so do not retrieve the MMS for the phones?

5) If none of the above is the cause, could it be that the operator's configuration does not support WAP 2.0? But since the OTA MMS setting was sent by the operator to activate the phone, I think the operator should support WAP 2.0 otherwise they would not send such setting?

Finally,

6) Can the WAP 2.0 phones revert back to using WAP 1.2.1? That is, is there any setting on the phone that instructs the phone to use WAP 1.2.1 only?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeremy

These are exactly the same questions I was looking answers for - and the reason I registered at the site. Anyone?

.pi.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

So you have developer a MMSC, good for you.

Reason why the system does not work with new phones may vary. Old phoned does "talk" http to MMSC as well, the WAP gateway makes the transformation from/to WSP.

If a mobile phone has a pre-defined MMSC settings in place, it uses only the content-id part of the m-notify-ind message. so if you send a new message indication to phone it uses pre-defined MMSC host address plus the content-id from your indication message. the request may look like this: pre-defined.mmsc.operator.co/your_content_id_at_your_server.

Also the network access point (APN) may not allow the any other traffic but the traffic goin to/from operators MMSC.

So in order to get the user fetc the content from your server, user must have your mmsc settings in place, but the the user is not able to receive MMS messages from the operator MMSC.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

So this forces small developers to use operators MMSCs paying big money if allowed at all? Congrats, Nokia!

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

I'm sorry to say, but this is what the operators has wanted to do. Behaviour has been specified at 3GPP specifications and it's just been implemented as spec says.

Just think about it, if you setup your own MMSC, how would you take care that it's interoperable with other network operators in your country/region or foreign operators...?

Sure the operators want that. They always wanted to get the smaller developers out of the market and now they get through with it with the "help" of handset-producers.

Unfortunately they completely forget that all the ringtone/logo hype has come from websites which small developers startet long ago and by this created the market long before the operators themself took notice of it. I had already in January 2000 my website www.smart-sms.com up and running and at that time had thousands of buying visitors.

If the operators kick out small developers now for MMS and 3G, they have to develop ideas themself and can't just take the ride on the hype as with SMS. Well, they'll learn their lesson, and small developers like me will (have to) stop developing mobile software/services as nobody in a while will be able to even download a .sis or logo without changing lots of settings in the phone, just like the operators want and Nokia appears to give them.

Without small and flexible developers the coming markets will be as boring for the customer as a CD-Shop is today, lots of expensive mainstream stuff which people stop buying (of course) and industry blames p2p for it (fools).

Just my thoughts on this, heard similar things from others though.

On the long run, Nokia and others will lose by giving the operators exclusivity like that now, please think about it and forward it to whoever is responsible at Nokia.

hi auvinent,

"Also the network access point (APN) may not allow the any other traffic but the traffic goin to/from operators MMSC".

i figure out an easy way to by-pass this firewall enforcement, simply by switching the MMS settings to and fro between Op.MMS and Op.GPRS, as the latter config is suppose to have access rights to internet hence 3rd party infrastructure.

the inconvenience comes as the user needs to perform this manual switch all the time. *grin*

we are a service provider too. if only all the users in this world select the APN that can access internet, be it sending or receiving MMS, the small app developer market will explode.

is there any ways via JAVA or WAP OTA that i can do to auto switch between Op.MMS or Op.GPRS connection by software simply from understanding the mobile number?

what i hope to achieve is if user received WAP PUSH via SMS that will follow by downloading a MMS package from internet, this software will sense the instructions and auto use the Op.GPRS connection. If user is sending MMS, the software will switch back to the original setting of Op.MMS via operator's MMSC.

any advise or comments is desperately appreciated.

thanks.
    carlx@pacific.net.sg