We have developed a service that accepts requests from our clients to send MMS to their mobile phones.
Basically, we compose and encode the MMS as a m-retrieve-conf message according to the WSP specification and store it on our server. Then we send a m-notification-ind message via SMS to the target phones. So this scheme bypasses the target MMSC.
Now for most mobile phones that use WAP 1.2.1, this scheme works fine. The phones have the GPRS sign fired up and then the MMS is retrieved via the WAP gateway of their operators.
But we have problem using the same scheme to send MMS to mobile phones such as Nokia's 6600 and 6230. The GPRS sign still shows up but then disappears without retrieving the MMS.
We realise that these phones (6600, 6230) use WAP 2.0 and by using WAP 2.0, they talk W-HTTP/HTTP with the MMSC (maybe via proxies in between) instead of WSP via WAP gateway. So I have the following questions regarding the failure of sending MMS to these phones using our scheme:
1) Is it because that these phones talk W-HTTP instead of WSP that they don't understand the WSP-encoded MMS stored on our server?
2) If 1) above is the case, is there some HTTP version of MMS that we can compose and store on our server that can be retrieved and understood by these phones?
3) Otherwise, is it because that WAP gateway was not used that the phones cannot find the URL that points to the MMS stored on our server? Will the MMSC/proxies do the same job of the WAP gateway that retrieves the MMS and sends it to the phones?
4) Or, is it because that these phones can only talk HTTP to the MMSC that we bypass and the MMSC has no idea about the MMS waiting on our server and so do not retrieve the MMS for the phones?
5) If none of the above is the cause, could it be that the operator's configuration does not support WAP 2.0? But since the OTA MMS setting was sent by the operator to activate the phone, I think the operator should support WAP 2.0 otherwise they would not send such setting?
6) Can the WAP 2.0 phones revert back to using WAP 1.2.1? That is, is there any setting on the phone that instructs the phone to use WAP 1.2.1 only?
Thanks in advance,