Discussion Board

MIDP API question

Hello

I am new to this MIDlet-business. I read somewhere that: ?MIDlet programming is easier than J2SE programming because the MIDP API is simpler? Where can I find the MIDP API:s:? How do I know which classes I can use in my application?

Regular Contributor

RE: MIDP API question

Hello,

Download Nokia Developer's Suite for the J2ME. Read documentation in Forum Nokia -> Technologies -> Java and download examples.

Sun Microsystems has quite a lot of stuff in java.sun.com/j2me including J2ME wireless toolkit and MIDP API.

And don't forget to buy one of the Nokia Java phones (3410, 6310i, 7650 and 9210i Communicator in Europe/Asia) to test your applications in a real environment.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

Regular Contributor

RE: MIDP API question

Hello,

You can find that information from java.sun.com/j2me and several books about J2ME programming. If I'm not mistaken, you get a full set of CDLC/MIDP API pages when you install Forte/Sun ONE for J2ME.

Note that there are basically four sets of classes which complement each other you should be aware of:
    - CLDC API. Source: java.sun.com
    - MIDP API. Source: java.sun.com
    - J2ME extension APIs. Source: java.sun.com
    - Manufacturer extension APIs (e.g. Nokia SMS API, Nokia UI API). Source: Forum Nokia and other manufacturers for their respective extensions

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia