Discussion Board

Automatic install through SIS file downloaded over WAP

Hi,

I have a question on symbian C++ application installation.
    SIS file is archive file for installation.
    After reading old question and answers on this topic, I found that SIS file can be downloaded through WAP network.

I think after SIS file is downloaded from a link in some WAP page, WAP browser may store downloaded SIS file in some folder.
    If WAP browser just stores SIS file, should end-user search the SIS file by himself and double click it for activating the install process?
    If this is the case, I think the usability for installation is not convenient in terms of user.

I want to know if there is some method by which Symbian OS recognizes SIS file downloaded over WAP and perform install process automatically (without user action).
    I want to handle this kind of installation in some programe.
    So I want to know if there is some API which handles the saving of SIS file in device and activating SIS file.

I will thank you for good answer..

Installing Sis files...

Hi bigrio,

I do not exactly know how the wap browser will handle downloaded files but I think it uses the RApaLsSession class to start the symbian installer as embedded application for the installation of the file.

The class has the methods to detect the program for the received files:

AppForDataType
    AppForDocument

The symbian installer is a normal application which will give feedback to the user.

The problem in with your idea is that you have to use the installation engine mechanism of the symbian os directly to provide a silent installation. This API is not documented and not public available completely. It has been changed between the symbian os versions also.

Best regards,
    Andrej

Regular Contributor

Post Re: Automatic install through SIS file downloaded over WAP

Quote Originally Posted by bigrio View Post
    I think after SIS file is downloaded from a link in some WAP page, WAP browser may store downloaded SIS file in some folder.
    If WAP browser just stores SIS file, should end-user search the SIS file by himself and double click it for activating the install process?
    When you download a sis file from a WAP page, the installation process is automatically triggered (i.e. the user is prompted whether they want to install) - at least on my 6110. You do not have to manually trigger the installer but it does require user action to confirm (as usual).