Discussion Board

Symbian Signed Nokia Testing

Hi,

Just putting an application through Symbian Signed and it's failed on a Nokia test case. Cap Gemini don't answer questions about Nokia criteria and only the Symbian criteria are available on the symbian signed website.

Is there a Nokia website / contact for the Nokia criteria of Symbian signed?

Nokia Developer Moderator
    in case your aplication fails a test case, you should be given an information, about the test case, reson for the failure and acceptable criteria.

For the money Gap Gemini is charging, I think they should at least give the basic information without any delay.

In case you think you are mistreated, contact Symbian, and complain about the test house, maybe that'll help you to get better service.

yucca

I got the report back with the reason of failure - because we used all upper case lettering in the menus - and the suggested cure - to use mixed case.

Considering that this is a multiplatform (i.e. symbian, windows CE, java) gaming application I feel that we are perfectly correct to use a consistent look and feel across all platforms. The text is almost considerably more readable in all upper case. Finally - as we are a full screen application it isn't as if part of the application uses the Nokia look and feel and the other part uses our own (the menus are custom menu screens - not CBA style menus)

For Symbian related failures there is a form to fill out to apply for waivers if you feel that your app shouldn't have to meet one of their criteria - however Symbian rightly said that failures from the Nokia tests are nothing to do with them. So - I'm looking to find anyone or any uselful link that can put me in touch with a Nokia person that might be able to consider a request for a waiver from a Nokia criteria. My personal view is that the Nokia test criteria is wrong and in the case of full screen applications which don't use native widgets as long as the text is readable the case or colour should be up to the developers - not Nokia.

Hello,

Could you please tell how this case ended up?

I agree with you completelly. Fullscreen gaming application should have a total freedom in UI. I'm also going to sign my fullscreen game and I dont even want to hear that I'll be forced to change my interface.

Please tell us if you managed to do anything about your problem.

best regards,
    Marek Wyszynski,
    Infinite Dreams,
    http://www.idreams.pl/skyforce

Hi there,

I am back from the 3GSM in Cannes. Here I went to visit the Symbian stand, and started to speak about Symbian Signed with someone from the inside. And then I remembered this thread which struck me at the time since I have in mind to go for Symbian Signed, but my arcade game only uses capital letters

So I mentionned this, and was not really taken seriously, which I can perfectly understand, since it seems so crazy. When I was asked to show it, I could not dig it. Now that I am quiet in front of my PC, I could find it easily and then have forwarded this link to the person I met who asked me to notify him in the case I can find it. So this is done...

Let's wait to see if we get some feedback !

PS: Benji, have you already submitted SkyForce to the process ? Any results so far ?