Discussion Board

Nokia 3510 available voices

I have been creating MIDI files for playback on my Nokia 3510 for a couple of weeks now but have recently had cause to wonder about the list of available voices documented in the Introduction to MIDI document. This document lists a total of 29 instruments and 14 percussion sounds that the 3510 is able to play.

I was recently sent a MIDI file that included a clarinet, however, and transferred it to my 3510 expecting that instrument to play silence. To my surprise it was audible and actually sounded like a clarinet.

I have experimented with a number of other instruments not included in the Introduction to MIDI document and some of these also appear to play correctly (though some do not), including harpsichord (voice 6), choir ahhs (voice 52), an alto saxophone (voice 65), and breath noise (instrument 121).

Is this just mapping these instruments to other instruments that the 3510 supports (which must mean my ears need cleaning) or are there actually a number of undocumented instruments? I'd be grateful for any experiences anyone else has had on this subject.

Best regards,

Adam Dawes
    www.adamdawes.com

Regular Contributor

RE: Nokia 3510 available voices

Hi,

I'm not very familiar with the topic, but as you might know, Nokia 3510 uses Beatnik Audio Engine as a sound engine for the handset. You could check out Beatnik's (www.beatnik.com) developer pages to get more information.

Hope this helps,
    Mika / Forum Nokia Developer Support

RE: Nokia 3510 available voices

The Beatnik Audio Engine will do an Instrument Alias for some unsupported voices and contains 3 times the amount supported by Nokia. You can create a SP-Midi file with instruments which one of the Nokia supported voices and the Beatnik will choose the best voice to fit it. i.e I6 (Harpsicord) is aliased to I0 (Accoustic Piano), I52 (Choir Ahhs) is alsied to I89 (Pad2 warm), I65 (alto sax) is aliased to I68 (Oboe) however I121 (Breath noise) is not aliased.
    They say that the 29 melodic and 14 percussion are the best to play through such a small speaker and the other midi instruments are not relevent.

Weird really!!Are you using the Beatnik SP-Midi creator? Its worth looking at!

Andy

www.ringtone.net