Discussion Board

Catch the MontyThread!

hi everybody,

does anybody have an idea how to fix and catch this MontyThread error msg that comes up on the 6600 with some of our games?

We got a MontyThread -9 on a Nokia6600 (v.3.42.1)
    befor that we had used a timertask and got a MontyThread -10 on the same device!

If anybody has any tipp for me how to solve this problem, it will be very great!

thanks
    buzz

Super Contributor
    You can't catch this, as it's not a Java exception, but something much nastier.

Avoidance is your only option. You have to be very careful with your application design, especially I think where threading is concerned. I really have no idea what causes this, so this is wild speculation, but the MontyThread thing seems more prevelant in certain kinds of apps. Common characteristics of problem apps seem to include: too many Threads (more than one!), use of TimerTasks (which are worth regarding as inherently evil), doing too much work in the event thread, less than extreme caution in managing interaction between threads.

6600 is not the only phone to experience problems with multi-threaded apps... I'd recommend creating no more than one Thread object for the whole lifetime of the application.

Graham.

maybe a solution

Hy,
    its make a different wether you compile your code with javac 1.3x
    or with javac 1.4x.
    Our code doesn't work on 6600 or 7610 if you compile it with 1.4x,
    you get the montythread error,
    with 1.3x all is fine.

Bernd

Regular Contributor
    And what will be happened if you compile midlet with 1.4x with option -target 1.1?
    Could you test this, please?

Hy Donz,

I allready used this Option with both compilers, 1.3x and 1.4x.
    The result is as descriped before.

Bernd