Discussion Board

Emulator crashing windows 2003?

After I updated my Symbian SDK 2.1 emulator with Networking capability. The networking in the emulator works, but occasionally the whole machine crashes. I am running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Does anyone else experience similar issues?

I used the "Ethernet connection for Symbian Emulator",
    downloaded from here:
    http://www.symbian.com/developer/dow...nEmulSetup.zip

-mobigital

Crashing in Nokia's npacket.sys (blue screen)

Using WinPCAP with Symbian Emulator - Series 60 SDK 2.1 version. WinPCAP version 3.0 was occasionally blue-screening by Win 2003 Server. To see what happens I installed WinPCAP 3.1 beta 3. It causes npacket.sys driver to crash the box.
    npacket.sys is a Nokia's 1.0.2.0 driver.

here are blue screen details:

driver: npacket.sys
    failed at F3C21CBB
    base address: F3C21000
    DateStamp: 402C9AA9

I went back to WinPCAP 3.0 (to reduce the number of crashes), but they still happen. If any one have ideas on how to get this resolved, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

-mobigital
    Last edited by mobigital; 2004-11-03 at 19:44.

Emulator Crash on Windows Server 2003

Hi,
    I've just installed Symbian SDK v1.2, 2.0 and 2.1 on a machine running Windows Server 2003.
    The v1.2 emulator runs with no problems; otherwise the other two emulators (2.0 & 2.1) hang during startup or crash.

I have the same SDKs installed on a Windows Server 2000 and Windows XP and everything go well.

I use ActivePerl 5.8.4 build 810 and JRE 1.4.1_04

If you have any suggestion, please tell me.

Thanks,
    Fabrizio

is your SDK installation root on C: drive?
    because if it's not, you need to manually change the drive letter
    in a .ini file in the emulator directory. There is an article on this forum about that. let me know if you can't find it.

-mobigital

Re: Crashing in Nokia's npacket.sys (blue screen)

I know this is a very old post but have anyone ever managed to get this issue resolved?
    We're having intermittent stop errors caused by npacket.sys on different Server 2003 machines when testing networking code using the emulator. (S60 v21 7.0s)

I've tried different versions of WinPcap but no luck.

Re: Emulator crashing windows 2003?

Please try the following:
    1. Got to Device Manager in OS.
    2. Activate View-Show Hidden Devices.
    3. Find "Ethernet Packet Driver".
    NOTE: You will lose ability to connect for pre-3rd Edition S60 emulators now!
    4. Uninstall it.

Under %WINDIR%, search for "npa*.*" and delete the all the files, .sys and .dll, etc.

This is the way to uninstall Ethernet support for "old" SKDs, according to Release Notes of such. This hopefully will help to fix the issue.

And one thing more. Winpcap is not required as a precondition by neither S60 SDK yet. Also, both old Ethernet Support (npacket.sys) and Winpcap are basically a packet capturing filters with the important notion about npacket also being kernel-level driver. With all the consequences, as to say. So it is better not mix up those, as well as not to, let's say, install two different firewalls from different vendors on the same PC.
    Last edited by msmyslov; 2006-02-07 at 20:17.

Re: Emulator crashing windows 2003?

Better late than never but if someone is still experiencing these issues with older SDK's like SDK2.1 and 2nd Edition FP2, I've posted a full workaround to the problem on my blog [1] which allows the ethernet connectivity to function as expected on hyper threaded XP/2003 machines as well as allowing ethernet connectivity for the emulator on Windows Vista.

[1] http://dotnet.org.za/armand/archive/...PEthernet.aspx