Discussion Board

Dissapointing 6260

Hiya Everyone,

After excitedly opening the the large mail package this morning i could proudly announce myself as a NEW nokia 6260 owner....however was a little dissapointed when i first used the thing. Firstly EVERYWHERE has it advertised in Black- I got a Tacky Silver/Grey thing weighing down my hand- It appears Nokia arent shipping the black ones till a couple of months...hmmm...stupid. Secondly What Happened to the "User Friendly" menu. Its All Gone haywire!

Very Dissapointed with D-Pad which the left and right buttons control the volume aswell as the buttons on the sides!! Whats the point in that? It takes 4 buttons to get to a message!

Also How are you able to turn the shutter noise on the camera! did i miss it or did Nokia Cock up this phone even more. Now when i try to take a picture i get this crappy little noise which i Cannot turn off- if anyone knows how it would be much appreciated.

Ok, what id the function of the up and down button when in standby mode? huh i cant even enter my contacts this way! Whats witht that...Nokia have really designed this crappy. Either that my phone is faulty. Does anyone else have the same problems or beleive Nokia should start to get over themselves and make Better phones!

I have do say it was a huge dissapointment today especially with the camera noise which appers to be on PERMANANTLY...Discreetness is very important to me and this is very dissapointing. Nokia have tried to hard to make this like a PDA- well..im not impressed and am posting it back To carphone warehouse and asking for a refund!

I Dont Recommend This To Anyone who is wishing to change to this as thier first Nokia phone and also to existing Nokia Users....Nokia have really screwed this one up....

Super Contributor
    Firstly EVERYWHERE has it advertised in Black- I got a Tacky Silver/Grey thing
    If you don't specify the colour when ordering, whomever sells it probably just sends whatever they happen to have available. If you did specify black, but wasn't delivered one, the seller did a mistake.
    D-Pad which the left and right buttons control the volume aswell as the buttons on the sides!! Whats the point in that?
    Other Series 60 based phones don't have dedicated volume keys, so the function on the directional pad is there for compatibility. The side buttons also do double-duty as camera zoom when the camera is active. For volume control they're also more practically placed, in my opinion.
    It takes 4 buttons to get to a message!
    I don't understand what you mean by that.

In menu > Settings > Phone > Standby mode you can change one of the selection keys to "Messaging" to get a shotcut to the Messaging app from the standby screen.

If a new message appears, you get a notification on the standby screen from where you can directly open the message.
    How are you able to turn the shutter noise on the camera!
    There doesn't seem to be a way to do that as far as I can tell.
    what id the function of the up and down button when in standby mode? huh i cant even enter my contacts this way!
    No shortcuts for up & down in standby mode. You can enter Contacts in standby mode by pressing the center selection key (built-in shortcut).

In a newer Series 60 release than what this model is based on, you can assign shortcuts to any direction of the selection key.

For those using an older version, I recall seeing an application that allows you to configure the keys to launch whatever programs you wish. I don't recall what the app is, but I'm sure it is somewhere here: http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/index.php

Hiya, Thanks for that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Firstly EVERYWHERE has it advertised in Black- I got a Tacky Silver/Grey thing
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't specify the colour when ordering, whomever sells it probably just sends whatever they happen to have available. If you did specify black, but wasn't delivered one, the seller did a mistake.

Would just like to say it wasnt ordered by me. The point i was trying to get across was that no stockists have black 6260 simply because nokia apparently hasnt given them any and they wont be released for another few months....i was told (by Carphone warehouse) that the silver is a limited edition and once theyre gone they will be discontinued.

Anyway all i was trying to say was how nokia have really hyped this phone and quite frankly im dissapointed with it. Theres not even a key pad lock for when you want to have the phone in browse mode in your pocket or nokia have ridiculously placed it elsewhere.

As for the browse mode if the phone rigns during this the 2 top keys are options "reject" or "options". if you select options it will open to give 2 choices. "Answer" and "reject" Again whats the point in that. Why couldnt Nokia have just put "answer and Reject".

Anywayz enough about that. I would just like to say if you have any other questions about this phone i will gladly answer them.

Also does anyone know for sure if there is a possibilty to turn the damn shutter noise....nokia REALLY screwed that part up.

Regards!

Super Contributor
    Theres not even a key pad lock for when you want to have the phone in browse mode in your pocket or nokia have ridiculously placed it elsewhere.
    Like with all Series 60 based phones, if you press the power key (short press, not long, because it turns off the phone), you will see a list of options.

One of the options is "Lock keypad" (the others are for turning the phone off, or switching profiles).

Once the list is open, you can use the up/down directions to select the option you want and then hit the "OK.

Less obvious, but a more handy way is to hit the power key again (short press here, too) to get to the next option, and the next, etc. When the option you want (e.g., "Lock keypad") is highlighted, then a long press of the power key will select that option (instead of powering the phone off - unless the "Switch off!" options is selected, of course ).

You can also get a free timer-based keypad lock utility for the phone, if you wish:
    http://my-symbian.com/7650/applicati...Auto=650&faq=2

But how about inserting a Call event in the agenda? I just want to insert in the agenda a reminder to call someone at a later date by choosing its name from the contacts list; when the reminder shows on the screen, I just want to be able to call the contact by pressing the green button. Nothing more than what is included in "older" Nokia phones, like the 6310 and many others.

I see no way to do this with 6260. This is an example of a BASIC functionality NOT included in the 6260.

I would also like some sort feature that can remind me to make a call. I'd like it to be a type of task in the 'To-do' list. But it's not possible to set reminders on tasks (or to set task types) - not on my 7610 anyhow.

The Sony Ericssons do this sort of thing much better. (In fact, I think that my T68m has better business features than the Series 60 handsets - even the 6630.)

the keylock shortcut is:

first press the left upper select button, then the menu (left middle) button

Anybody know if you can install the Opera web browser on the 6260?

TIA,
    James,

You can install Opera, but it's not free anymore but a 14 day trial.

About the camera shutter sound:
    I replaced 'StartCapture.wav' in the 'Z:\System\Apps\Camera' folder with an equal named soundfile of a small beep through 'Oxygen Phonemanager for Symbian'.

Anyone knows a way to turn off the autostart of the camera app if you change from work mode to browse mode?

Shortcuts

I could not find any application that would let you launch any application from the standby mode. Did you mean the Smartlauncher http://my-symbian.com/7650/applicati...24&fldAuto=446 ?

Originally posted by petrib
    No shortcuts for up & down in standby mode. You can enter Contacts in standby mode by pressing the center selection key (built-in shortcut).

In a newer Series 60 release than what this model is based on, you can assign shortcuts to any direction of the selection key.

For those using an older version, I recall seeing an application that allows you to configure the keys to launch whatever programs you wish. I don't recall what the app is, but I'm sure it is somewhere here: http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/index.php