Discussion Board

Why SDK tries to find WINSCW??

I have been trying to configure the environment using series60 v2.1 SDK and Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0. Everything should be correctly installed but it tries all the time to find the winscw-emulator that does not exist. Could someone help me with this??

Super Contributor
    Hi Conya,
    What "it" means? At what time and what application tries to find the winscw emulator?

Firstly, for MS VC++ you need SDK that is prepared for it (it has epoc32/release/wins/udeb directory full of files..:-)
    and one of them is epoc.exe (emulator you want to run)

Secondly, how did you created workspace, or build the application? Standard set of commands for MS VC++ is (run from yourapplication/group directory):
    bldmake bldfiles
    abld makefile vc6
    abld build wins udeb

Super Contributor
    May be try to run the emulator with this command

epoc -wins

I think there's a bug in epoc.pl so that it will always try to run WINSCW emulator.

Antony

Super Contributor
    From "WINSCW" it seems as if you installed an SDK version for CodeWarrior. The CodeWarrior version will not work with Microsoft's IDE (Integrated Development Environment).

Hello Conya,

they lost in the many SDK versions and it seems the QA at Nokia sleeps. ;-( Or is there no QA? ;-)
    They simply copied the WINSCW "\epoc32\Tools\epoc.pl" to the Tools directory instead the right one for WINS. The epoc.pl is 100% identical to the Series60 V2.0 and v2.1 CW Edition of the SDKs. There a two workarounds to fix the BUG:

1.) Copy the epoc.pl from Series 60 SDK v2.0 to the Series 60 SDK v2.1 - this works fine (tested by me).

2.) Replace the String "winscw" with "wins" in file \epoc32\Tools\epoc.pl at line 21 and 35 (also tested by me).

A similar Bug exist also in the Series 60 v1.2 and 2.0 for Borlands Compiler Collection (WINSB). There they forgot to append the 'b' to the word wins, means the SDK trys to find the epoc.exe in the WINS path instead in the WINSB path.

BTW: Is there something like a bug database at Nokia, where developer can open bugs like the Sun BugParade? I think this would be very useful to Nokia if I see the bad quality of their official released software, IMHO Bannana Software. Don't understand me wrong, I like Nokia and the plattform they provide, but these bugs mustn't appear. These bugs take the developers a lot of time to spend developing software for the "Symbian Ecosystem"! Means: If I search BUGS - I can't develop everything!

--
    Cheers Uwe

Hello,

there is also a bug int he epoc.pl in Series 60 SDK v2.0!

Problem: "epoc -rel" in v2.0 does not find epoc.exe in the wincw tree.. :-(

Solution: Replace the string "winscw" in line 35 with "wins"

So keep in mind this problem if you use solution 1.) from my posting above.

--
    Cheers Uwe