Discussion Board

what's the difference between .rss and .hrh

hi everyone! i am a beginner of symbian os.i have some questions.
    1. what's the difference about .rss, .hrh and .rsg?take helloworldbasic as an example, helloworldbasic.rss includes helloworldbasic.hrh,why not merge them into one file?
    2. if i want to define a resource, for example,RESOURCE DIALOG r_dialog{....}, where should i denfine it? in .rss or .hrh? when defined, how to use it?
    3.what's the meaning of CBA?

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello,

1. rss is a resource (source) file. This is used as a source while resource file is compiled (.rsc). .hrh is just a common header file to be used here and there on your project. It's convention issue to use .hrh, not .h. Becase this .hrh file is included to .rss file also there is not allowed to use all kind of (C++) conventions.

2. You should define it on the .rss file. If you need some enumarations, those are able to put to .hrh. Those enumerations can be refenenced on .rss but also on the code (.cpp). E.g. commands, controls id's, etc. can be defined on the .hrh file.

3. CommandButtonArea. This is used on Series80 devices and it is the right area of the display. E.g. on 9500 there is four buttons and CBA contains "soft labels" for there keys.

Br V

Thank u!!

shanglinhu
    Last edited by shanglinhu; 2004-11-14 at 13:05.